Question PC Freezing! Forced to hard reset at times

Jun 25, 2024
Hi! So recently I've went from 9th gen to 13th gen, as you may know doing that requires a new chipset board obviously. I've recently replaced my i7-9700k and Z-370-a Pro for a i5-13600k and a B760-P DDR4 Motherboard. Doing all this and replacing the original CPU cooler as well worked fine for about a week or two until I would in the middle of playing or idling in games and it would just *zap* (in my headphones) and stay frozen with everything still powered inside the case. Unable to alt tab, open task manager, move my mouse I was forced to hard reset and this has happened quite a bit the past few days doing normal things that aren't even heavy on the system itself. (This has never happened on the old system board and cpu may I add) If anyone can help me out with some ideas of what I can do it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I do want to add as well I noticed when I'm playing a game or browsing on chrome I will try going back to Discord, Discord opens but it freezes not allowing me to click anything for 3-5 seconds but if I do click something after those 3-5 seconds it acts like I just clicked after it's done being frozen and works fine. This happens again if 10 minutes goes by when I'm going back into the game or browsing then going back to Discord.

Current specs:
i5-13600k
RTX 3070
32GB 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400MHz | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2133MHz
MSI B760-P DDR4 Motherboard
1TB Crucial M.2
Corsair H60x single fan 120mm

Notes:
I've updated BIOS to the latest version
I've tested with MemTest86 and MemTest64 and nothing came up wrong with ram
I've done all the CMD Prompt cleanings possible
No indications of errors in the system reports only critical from me force shutting down
I've restored defaults in BIOS

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

32GB 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400MHz | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2133MHz
If that isn't a typo, you might want to replace both sticks of ram and get something that's rated to run at 3600MHz.

You might want to consider looking into a 240mm AIO at the very least, that 120mm AIO is pointless at keeping temps in check.

So recently I've went from 9th gen to 13th gen, as you may know doing that requires a new chipset board obviously. I've recently replaced my i7-9700k and Z-370-a Pro for a i5-13600k and a B760-P DDR4 Motherboard.
Did you reinstall the OS?

Jun 25, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If that isn't a typo, you might want to replace both sticks of ram and get something that's rated to run at 3600MHz.

You might want to consider looking into a 240mm AIO at the very least, that 120mm AIO is pointless at keeping temps in check.

So recently I've went from 9th gen to 13th gen, as you may know doing that requires a new chipset board obviously. I've recently replaced my i7-9700k and Z-370-a Pro for a i5-13600k and a B760-P DDR4 Motherboard.
Did you reinstall the OS?
Hi! So I've never actually had a problem with the original ram would upgrading to a newer gen just straight up freeze your PC because of the slowness in ram speeds?

I definitely noticed a huge difference in temps I start at 45-50c idle with absolutely nothing running.

I have not reinstalled the OS, before my i7-9700k I had an i3-8100 as a starter cpu and never switched the board because 8th gen and 9th gen were obviously the same chipset and didn't require any other necessary installations. Would that be necessary as to switching a board having to reinstall OS?

Hi! So recently I've went from 9th gen to 13th gen, as you may know doing that requires a new chipset board obviously. I've recently replaced my i7-9700k and Z-370-a Pro for a i5-13600k and a B760-P DDR4 Motherboard. Doing all this and replacing the original CPU cooler as well worked fine for about a week or two until I would in the middle of playing or idling in games and it would just *zap* (in my headphones) and stay frozen with everything still powered inside the case. Unable to alt tab, open task manager, move my mouse I was forced to hard reset and this has happened quite a bit the past few days doing normal things that aren't even heavy on the system itself. (This has never happened on the old system board and cpu may I add) If anyone can help me out with some ideas of what I can do it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I do want to add as well I noticed when I'm playing a game or browsing on chrome I will try going back to Discord, Discord opens but it freezes not allowing me to click anything for 3-5 seconds but if I do click something after those 3-5 seconds it acts like I just clicked after it's done being frozen and works fine. This happens again if 10 minutes goes by when I'm going back into the game or browsing then going back to Discord.

Current specs:
i5-13600k
RTX 3070
MSI B760-P DDR4 Motherboard
1TB Crucial M.2

Notes:
I've updated BIOS to the latest version
I've tested with MemTest86 and MemTest64 and nothing came up wrong with ram
I've done all the CMD Prompt cleanings possible
No indications of errors in the system reports only critical from me force shutting down
I've restored defaults in BIOS

back up all your games etc on to another drive and do a complete windows reset changing motherboards means the os is looking around for old chipset drivers that don't exist.

system> recovery> reset this pc and choose delete all files. this will reinstall windows from scratch.

also as @Lutfij has said mixing memory is bad especially if the timings are different it can cause hiccups.