Question PC Freezing, mostly during Apex Legends

raythepurple

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
So this started on or around December 1st. I've had about 10 hard freezes while streaming on Twitch.

The fourth freeze was on Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and it happened as soon as I hit the 'stop recording' button on Streamlabs OBS. I was recording mp4 video to my HDD so if I crashed while still recording the video would have been corrupt, but this video was fine. I've had a couple 2 hour sessions of AC:O without incident since.

All the other freezes happened during Apex Legends...some mid-match, some in lobby, some in the 'this is your squad' screen, one was even as the game started up, though I had played a little earlier then switched to Fortnite because I thought I was going to freeze then switched back to Apex soon after.
They're usually preceded by some significant frame stuttering, I normally get a fairly smooth 80-110 fps. Ambient sounds continue. I usually wait about 20-30 seconds before pressing the reset button.
There's no blue screen. Reliability monitor only says 'windows was not properly shut down' but it often says that even when I do shut down normally.
I monitored temps last time with GPU-Z, GPU got around 80C, CPU got up to 60C. Fans seem normal.

Specs:
Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 Micro ATX
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 with Wraith Spire cooler.
GPU: EVGA 1660 Ti SC Gaming Ultra 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz
Case: Cougar MX 330
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB HDD
PSU: Insignia 450W 80plus white.

I built this PC myself last October, news parts, and initially had a SeaSonic S12III 500W 80plus Bronze, but within the first few weeks I got random restarts and some crashes, mostly when the GPU was under heavy load and eventually figured out the SeaSonic was defective. I filed a warranty claim and got a replacement, which was also defective except the second one caused random shutdowns instead of restarts. I didn't bother to submit a warranty claim because I was so annoyed with getting a 2nd straight defective unit and having to pay shipping to send it back, I put my old PC's not so old (under a year at the time) Insignia 450W in and it's been good for nearly a year.

The crashes aren't always right away. I've had a freeze happen after more than 2 straight hours of Apex, some are more like 20-30 minutes and some around 1 hour, and then the one where I played Apex for a bit, got some stuttering, went to Fortnite a bit then back to Apex and crashed before getting to lobby.
I think the first crash was after the update that added the Winter Express mode so I really want to blame Apex but I had that one crash during Assassin's Creed so that casts some doubt.

I updated my video driver a few days ago and that didn't fix it...actually reliability monitor shows a hardware error (live kernel event code 1b0) from when I restarted to install that driver but it was otherwise a completely normal driver update and restart.
I've been playing Apex through Steam since they made that switch, but last night I tried Apex on Origins and it still happened, Steam wasn't even running.
Besides Apex/Assassin's Creed the only major things running during all these crashes have been Streamlabs OBS, Firefox, and the Discord app.
In this time I've also played Fortnite, CS:GO, and Fall Guys without any freezes.
I tried a few minutes of Valley Benchmark and it was normal.

Not sure what else to do...thanks for any help.

raythepurple

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Last edited:

raythepurple

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
ok well I got some more info because I looked at Event Viewer which I didn't know was a thing and it has more than reliability monitor shows. Last crash was 9:42 p.m. on the 7th

MmWFtBP.png

the NTFS error says "Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell."
though I did chkdsk C: /f /r and chkdsk D: /f /r since this.
I'm putting Apex on my HDD on D drive now for a test, it's been on my SSD on C.
The 'critical' I believe is from pressing the reset button.

edit; just streamed Cyberpunk for almost 3 hours and it ran perfectly, graphics on medium/high and I got mostly 35-40 fps. no stuttering nor freezing. now I'm back on Apex...
aaand I froze after just 35 minutes of Apex. weird that I can do almost 3 hours of Cyberpunk without a problem but 35 mins of Apex and I get a hard freeze. it's gotta be apex's fault.

Last edited:

raythepurple

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
I RMA'd that 2nd defective SeaSonic, got a new one, put it in, and my PC froze during Apex Legends twice tonight, the same way as before. So unless this new SeaSonic and the Insignia have the exact same issue, the problem is something else.
Someone I just played Apex with suggested taking out 1 ram stick and trying each of them on their own. I did a pass of memtest 86 the other day and it reported no errors. I kind of feel like it could be the GPU... but I haven't been getting any artifacts.

raythepurple

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
ok so I didn't set my RAM 2933, I set it to 3200 MHz since it was apparently 2133 for a while (even though it was also on auto?).
I also ran a couple chkdsk, but I've done that since this started already without it appearing to fix anything.
I streamed last night for over 5 hours without a problem and I didn't record with Streamlabs like usual, I think that's the problem. Pretty sure every freeze was either while recording or immediately after stopping recording (1 while recording but not streaming). but why would that cause a freeze? I guess I can try reinstalling Streamlabs, but if that doesn't solve it I don't know. Simply not recording anymore isn't a solution.

Last edited:
ok so I didn't set my RAM 2933, I set it to 3200 MHz since it was apparently 2133 for a while (even though it was also on auto?).
I also ran a couple chkdsk, but I've done that since this started already without it appearing to fix anything.
I streamed last night for over 5 hours without a problem and I didn't record with Streamlabs like usual, I think that's the problem. Pretty sure every freeze was either while recording or immediately after stopping recording (1 while recording but not streaming). but why would that cause a freeze? I guess I can try reinstalling Streamlabs, but if that doesn't solve it I don't know. Simply not recording anymore isn't a solution.
I admit I know next to nothing about recording software. After a quick google I found this, perhaps it is relevant:
http://streamlabs.helpserve.com/Kno...--system-requirements-for-streamlabs-software

raythepurple

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
I admit I know next to nothing about recording software. After a quick google I found this, perhaps it is relevant:
http://streamlabs.helpserve.com/Kno...--system-requirements-for-streamlabs-software
don't think that's it. I've been recording with SLOBS while streaming (not all streams but a lot) for about a year and this problem only started December 1st.

Now that I'm checking it, SLOBS did have an update December 1st. But all it says at https://streamlabs.com/changelog is
2020-12-01 - Streamlabs OBS - 0.26.0 - User Experience Improvements
Streamlabs OBS

• Revamped the Go Live flow for Facebook users and multistreamers.
  • Moved Login/Logout to the Settings Window.
  • Added Follower Goals for Facebook users.
  • Updated the Custom Resolution input for easier use.
  • Fixed a bug related to keyboard shortcuts in the Edit Transform window.
  • Fixed a bug where the Scenes List appeared empty in some layouts.
  • Fixed a bug loading Alert Box settings with a merged account.

so I don't see what would cause the problem. I am using 26.0...I just reinstalled today. Guess I can try recording Apex tonight and if freezes I can try the previous version of SLOBS until there's a new update, and should probably contact them about this too. Thanks, this feels like progress.