Question PC freezing/rebooting in BIOS

CosmicChopsticks

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Hi, and thanks in advance.

About a month ago I built this PC and everything has been running smoothly until last night. It was on but idling while I was out of the room, and I returned to find it had rebooted and frozen in BIOS, on the step just before booting into Windows. It required a hard reboot by holding down the power button to get it out of this state, and now attempting to boot puts it in one of three states:
  • Frozen before windows, with the usual 4 spinning circles stopped about half a second after the animation starts
  • Same as above but with the message "Preparing automatic repair"
  • Getting as far as the first option but instantly restarting, going into an infinite loop
As far as I can tell one of those happens at random, I can't work out any pattern. I've tried reseating my RAM, and trying each stick individually. I can access BIOS settings before it freezes, but nothing jumps out at me and I don't want to fiddle too much without knowing what I'm doing.

Specs:
  • Motherboard: MSI AMD X570-A PRO
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8GB
  • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 840 120GB (Boot disk)
    • Samsung 860 250GB
    • Western Digital BLACK 2TB
Aside from the storage which came from my previous PC, this is all brand new.

It has all been working for about 3 weeks with no problems and I haven't made any changes recently, so I'm pretty confused why it would stop working now. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CC

EDIT: I realized after posting that this might be better in the systems forum, but its too late now

Last edited: