Question PC Freezing while gaming - I feel like I'm at my witts end

Sep 11, 2024
Hey everyone,

I've had my PC for 3 years now. All my components point to it being a high-end gaming machine.
User Benchmark score for reference:
UserBenchmarks: Game 97%, Desk 89%, Work 100%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 84.7%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 - 114.1%
SSD: MSI M370 1TB - 200.8%
SSD: Microsoft Storage Space Device 2TB - 537.6%
RAM: G.SKILL F4-3200C16-16GTZR F4-3200C16-8GTZR F4-3200C16-16GTZR F4-3200C16-8GTZR 48GB - 65.9%
MBD: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)

I've been having issues with freezing in games for a few years now. It started when I was playing Valhiem but only when I was online, and only after a week or so of playing. Since then it has been affecting the majority of games I play, but mostly only when playing online.
I was playing Satisfactory recently at max settings and it worked fine for the first few hours then started freezing every 5 mins in the game. I lowered the settings there and it has been fine since. I have a large save file in Factorio that has never had an issue.

My most recent frustrating experience has been with Space Marine 2. I played through the whole intro level without any issue, then when progressing into the rest of the game it started freezing and crashing regularly. I lowered the settings and optimized performance and have since changed my NVIDIA 3d Settings to what is outlined here (https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-nvdia-control-panel-settings/), did all the recent updates for the game and drivers and it still freezes.

I've upgraded my PSU (Currently a Corsair RM1000x) and added more RAM, uninstalled and reinstalled GPU drivers (numerous times), closed all background programs, ran games as administrator, made sure games had access through Windows security firewalls, updated my BIOS, turned off overclocking in BIOS and turned it back on (currently on). I'm starting to think something is wrong with my GPU but these benchmark results are showing otherwise.

I'm really at my witts end here. It seems like this PC should run fine, but its starting to feel like I've got a lemon on my hands.
My next thought is to replace the GPU, but I figured id see what the forums have to say here before that investment.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Sep 11, 2024
If this is happening mostly when online, I would start with a speedtest, to make sure you are getting your advertised speeds, or reasonably close to them, for your internet. Make sure network drivers are up to date.
Just ran a speedtest
DL: 938.13 Mbps UL: 936.26 Mbps on a 1GB fiber connection.

All drivers are up to date

Also, although it does happen mostly online it has been freezing when I'm just playing a single-player game or single-player game more. Especially with SM2. Although I believe this game has an always online thing going on even when playing single player campaign.

Sep 11, 2024
Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may be being logged just before or at the time of the freezes.
Looks like im getting this error when it happens.

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎9/‎11/‎2024 12:09 AM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffe38a5f835460
Parameter 2: fffff80385660d80
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 5b40
OS version: 10_0_19045
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 4105