Sep 11, 2024
Hi everyone,
I bought a used GTX 980 Ti for my computer but when I installed it, it doesn't get recognized at all. The GPU white LED stays on and the computer won't even post, no video is being displayed.

My motherboard is a ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 with the latest bios update installed v2.00, with an AMD FX-8370 processor and 32GB of RAM. My power supply is a Corsair CV650.

The thing is, the GTX 980 Ti does work because I installed it on my mum's computer and it works fine.
But her computer is a bit older than mine, it's an ASUS P5KPL-AM motherboard, with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor and 4GB of RAM. The power supply is the same as mine, it's a Corsair CV650.

I find it strange that this graphics card refuses to work on my computer while on my mum's it works fine.
I guess it's a motherboard compatibility issue but I have no idea where I should start looking...

Thank you in advance,
Daniel.

Are both PCIE power cables properly connected to the graphics card?
Are you using any power adapter cables?
Did you try different video outputs on your graphics card?
Does your pc have a pc beeper?
Does it give any beeps with GTX 980ti installed?

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Sep 11, 2024
Are both PCIE power cables properly connected to the graphics card?
Are you using any power adapter cables?
Did you try different video outputs on your graphics card?
Does your pc have a pc beeper?
Does it give any beeps with GTX 980ti installed?

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
Yes, they're properly connected.
No, I'm not using any adapter cables since my power supply has it's own PCI-E power cables. I tried swapping them but no luck so far.
My display has an HDMI cable, I'm afraid I don't have any DisplayPort cables or DVI/VGA cables, regardless I can't hear the beeper, yes I have one, so I know it doesn't POST anyway.
No, it doesn't beep at all. I can hear my DVD drives starting up and my floppy drives (yes, I still have those) seeking but it then it stops. Normally, the screen should be showing up.

I have tried unplugging my drives and my PCI cards, leaving just the graphics card installed but still it won't POST.

Here's a picture:
8TaFq5v.jpeg

Here's a picture how my computer looks like when everything is plugged in and working correctly. The graphics card is an AMD R9 380x and with it the system works fine.
qxDB5KL.jpeg

I'm starting to think that it's really incompatible for whatever reason with my motherboard.

Sep 11, 2024
Will the used GTX 980 Ti work if only the boot drive is connected and you use safe mode?

(Correction/update in bold.)
My computer doesn't show any video at all since it won't even complete the POST. I tried unplugging everything but nothing so far.

Do a CMOS reset after you install the card, and try booting it again. My Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 was finicky like that, if you changed a GPU.
I tried resetting the CMOS and then I installed the GTX 980Ti but still, it won't display anything. I guess I'm out of options here. This motherboard is really incompatible with that graphics card. Oh well.

...I guess my mom's computer is going to have one heck of an upgrade. Haha.

Regardless, thank you guys for your help.
Daniel.