Question PC froze when I slapped my table ?

Aug 16, 2023
So I was playing and got hyped and accidentally slapped my wooden table then my PC froze during that time and I restart it because I thought it just crashed or something but after I restart it shows no signal.I think the wires and sockets in our house is grounded because I get shock when I touch some of the cables in my PC and also the case. I brought my PC to a Computer tech store and they did try if my Pc runs and it did.

They told me it was just a loose HDMI Cable but when I got home to test it still the PC turns on but the Monitors shows no signal so I brought it back now my PC wont turn on and they told me that my motherboard is grounded and then I replaced the motherboard and also the wirings in our house and sockets got replaced too and then I thought everything is cool now since the problem has been replace My pc runs now with the new board but it did happen again when I accidentally bump my knee to the table it frozed again and shows no signal I dont know what seems to be the problem since most of the problem has been replaced.

Sorry if my story is a bit confusing and my english is bad 😅

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I think the wires and sockets in our house is grounded because I get shock when I touch some of the cables in my PC and also the case".

You should do nothing more until a qualified electrician has checked your house wiring and grounding/earthing. Leave the PC off and unplugged until the electrician can check the PC's outlet and case grounding.

A fried PC would be the least of your worries and tinkering with the PC, cables, etc. could actually backfire.

Especially if the problem is such that fixes to the PC get zapped again.

The situation is dangerous and could very easily and quickly get worse.

You need to eliminate any house wiring/electrical problems.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
This:

"I think the wires and sockets in our house is grounded because I get shock when I touch some of the cables in my PC and also the case".
You should do nothing more until a qualified electrician has checked your house wiring and grounding/earthing. Leave the PC off and unplugged until the electrician can check the PC's outlet and case grounding.

A fried PC would be the least of your worries and tinkering with the PC, cables, etc. could actually backfire.

That's a pretty far leap.

I would suspect a bad PSU before striking fear of bad home wiring into the OP. A shock wouldn't be enough to trip a breaker and if it's not bad enough that the OP is afraid to go in there it would imply a low voltage, low (relative) amp shock.

A simple multimeter test on the outlet will tell if there's an issue with the outlet, no need for an electrician.

As a matter of fact, OP, use a multimeter and check how much voltage is on the case. It's a good starting point to rule out if it is the PSU and if so which rail might have an exposed wire.

Reactions: Makisuji
Aug 16, 2023
This:

An electrician came to check and replaced everything from breakers and sockets the other day but last night when I bump my knee into the table it did happened again so idk if it still has to do with the house wiring or the problem is in my PC but I'll ask the electrician to double check everything just to make sure

Aug 16, 2023
That's a pretty far leap.

I would suspect a bad PSU before striking fear of bad home wiring into the OP. A shock wouldn't be enough to trip a breaker and if it's not bad enough that the OP is afraid to go in there it would imply a low voltage, low (relative) amp shock.

A simple multimeter test on the outlet will tell if there's an issue with the outlet, no need for an electrician.

As a matter of fact, OP, use a multimeter and check how much voltage is on the case. It's a good starting point to rule out if it is the PSU and if so which rail might have an exposed wire.
Thank u sir will try to check that out too and give u guys an update also I did go to a Computer tech and told me that my Case might be an issue too.

Ralston18

Titan
@sycoreaper

@Makisuji

Anytime there is a situation where someone is getting shocked then that is a situation where immediate action is needed. And the breaker not tripping could indicate a problem breaker - that may not end well either.

It is the current that matters and there are many online links discussing electrical shock etc..

Low voltage/amperage does not matter. And yes a multimeter can be used to troubleshoot.

But not everyone has a multimeter and knows how to properly use it. Or are capable of correctly fixing a found problem themselves.

And I am sometimes very skeptical about some of the electricians I have seen. Some places have very little in the form of training, qualifications, electrical codes, and enforcement.

Electricity is always trying to get to ground (earth) and will find a way and that path could be through any sort of wires, conductive materials, and the human (mostly water) body.

At least, hopefully, the house breakers and outlets are safe.

I will be very happy if the issue is simply a bad PSU or some readily fixable issue within the case or some other connected component.

With no one hurt in the process.

Reactions: Makisuji

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
@sycoreaper

@Makisuji

Anytime there is a situation where someone is getting shocked then that is a situation where immediate action is needed. And the breaker not tripping could indicate a problem breaker - that may not end well either.

It is the current that matters and there are many online links discussing electrical shock etc..

Low voltage/amperage does not matter. And yes a multimeter can be used to troubleshoot.

But not everyone has a multimeter and knows how to properly use it. Or are capable of correctly fixing a found problem themselves.

And I am sometimes very skeptical about some of the electricians I have seen. Some places have very little in the form of training, qualifications, electrical codes, and enforcement.

Electricity is always trying to get to ground (earth) and will find a way and that path could be through any sort of wires, conductive materials, and the human (mostly water) body.

I will be very happy if the issue is simply a bad PSU or some readily fixable issue within the case or some other connected component.

I dont disagree with your points with electricity but being shocked is either line voltage or it's not. 120v or 240v is more than just a shock, that's a I'm not touching this #### thing ever again. Once you get shocked with that high of current you don't want to touch said item.

It is virtually impossible for the case to be fully live. The PSU would have to be shorted internally to it's housing and said housing conduct to the PC case. The components in a PSU cannot handle a large faux circuit like the one a live PC would be, it would burn itself out.

Second reason I don't think it's like voltage, everything is connected to the PC chassis. MB, GPU, I/O, accessory cards, etc.. While the motherboard is anchored on isolated parts of the board, that small area would eventually just burn away. Also any cards or I/O touching the case would take the full brunt of electricity and conduct it through them and kill every component, including the motherboard as line voltage would go through the GPU and into the PCIe slot.

Multimeters can be daunting if one has never used one but there are tons of YouTube videos out there. Also since precision isn't needed, only a rough guess, a dirt cheap one would be more than sufficient and even a $5 one is a good investment to keep around the house for basic tasks.

So again, I agree with you that electricity should be taken seriously but I find the odds of it being line voltage astronomically low.

Ralston18

Titan
The case does not need to be fully live at 120 volts or 240 volts.

It is not the voltage: line voltage or otherwise.

Current matters.

FYI:

https://www.thespruce.com/amperage-not-voltage-kills-1152476

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-3/shock-current-path/

https://immersivelabz.com/ohms-law-...m's law, current,voltage that can kill humans.

(You can easily find other similar links.)

The path of that current may not be restricted to just within the computer - the source could be another device and traveling via connection paths: audio, video, network, or electrical. Basic short circuit.

So if my computer case (or any else for that matter) shocks me then that means there is some current flowing through me to ground.

Maybe not initially enough current to do much more than hurt. And if I am lucky any higher amperages will blow a fuse, trip a breaker, or very quickly burn something up (other than me) in the path to ground thus ending the current flow.

And if I am not lucky..... 🩻

From link #3 above:

"According to Ohm’s law, current and voltage are directly proportional, so as the voltage increases, the current also increases. There is a myth surrounding this. A high voltage is believed to be required for a fatal shock. However, it is the current rather than the voltage that can kill humans. A 60-volt current is sufficient to kill a human. We believe that 10,000 volts is more dangerous than 100 volts. This is only partially correct. Electric shocks are frequently caused by household voltages of 110 volts or, in some cases, 42 volts! A current of only 10 mA is enough to kill us."

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I know that amps can be more dangerous than voltage, that's not my point and wasn't the original statement made.

If the case is live from the OP's outlet as you stated above, it will be above 12v.
My original statement was that I disagreed with you about it being from the outlet and that I think it's the PSU.

OP can simply check the voltage on the PSU housing and on the rest of the case. If it's 12v (plus or minus a few volts), the PSU has an exposed wire.
If it reads a fair amount over 12v on the PSU housing, something is shorted inside the PSU. In which case it's a dodgy PSU or the outlet that the breaker is on is unstable.

Aug 16, 2023
@sycoreaper

@Makisuji

With no one hurt ini

@sycoreaper

@Makisuji

Thank you sir I have it checked out and the tech guy told me that my PSU was bad too and my PC Case does not go well with electricity something like that. Also the reason why did my PSU did go bad is the wirings in our house but it is already fixed so I appreciate everybody for the time and responses now I just have to get a new PSU to test everything out and hope everythings good again 😅