PC Gaming News - NFS SHIFT Dated, more

Status
Not open for further replies.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I have always been a fan of the arcade style racing experience of the Need For Speed titles. After purchasing NFS Pro Street I haven't purchased another title in the series. I play Gran Turismo series for the realistic driving simulation, and the NFS series for the arcade style. I would like to see the NFS series stick to arcade style racing and driving simulation to the GT series.

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Yeah, I'd prefer Need for Speed to stick to arcade style as well. If I want realistic, I'll play Gran Turismo (which drives me nuts). I hate clipping a wall and blowing a tire and the race is over.

But not too over the top arcade. Burnout is the choice for fiery explosions, split second decisions, and wacky courses.

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah, either you haven't used Steam and are going off other idiots' complaints or either you don't know what you are doing, or you support piracy, in which hating steam still doesn't make sense. Steam can have some very, very very killer deals sometimes. Lets see, for 90 bucks one time I got CS:S, HL, HL2, Portal, Left4Dead, Day of Defeat and about 10 other great valve games. They always have weekend deals and they are always working with other publishers that use Steam to give discounts too. Plus, to play LAN and other stuff, all you do is update all your games which Steam can do automatically and then go into offline mode and every game works. So don't be some reatrd who doesn't know what he is talking about. Have a real reason to hate something.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]I have always been a fan of the arcade style racing experience of the Need For Speed titles. After purchasing NFS Pro Street I haven't purchased another title in the series. [/citation]

Are you serious? I stopped at carbon. That game was so cartoony and retarded, they took out seperate customization! i.e front bumper,rear bumper, mirror, roof scoop. Thats what made me love NFS! But now its "body kits!"

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]I have always been a fan of the arcade style racing experience of the Need For Speed titles. After purchasing NFS Pro Street I haven't purchased another title in the series. I play Gran Turismo series for the realistic driving simulation, and the NFS series for the arcade style. I would like to see the NFS series stick to arcade style racing and driving simulation to the GT series.[/citation]

I remember that when I bought underground 2 I thought 'oh, same game again, just with a map', and when I bought carbon I realized, oh nothing's changed at all. Sad.

I hold no grudge against EA, unlike many, but I don't like it when they keep releasing games that aren't really new games. Hot pursuit was 'new' as it hadn't been seen before. Porche was new, and the best nfs ever. Underground was differently new. Prostreet was new too, but only because it was so exceptionally bad. imo it's time they make a realistic driving game, or another one line porche, or one with damage effects, not just damage visuals. Or perhaps it'd be enough to just make a simple need for speed game where they'd use the autosculpt feature to play with downforce, grip, weight etc. I always found it odd that adding all those skirts and spoilers didn't affect anything. In reallife I know that my alfa 156 used more fuel after adding all the styling stuff, and I felt a difference in speedy corners. With physics engines available, there's no reason not to add real physics to some extend. They could just 'precalc' the drag and downforce when you do the sculpt, and use it as static data in the actual gameplay.

[citation][nom]RiotSniperX[/nom]Are you serious? I stopped at carbon. That game was so cartoony and retarded, they took out seperate customization! i.e front bumper,rear bumper, mirror, roof scoop. Thats what made me love NFS! But now its "body kits!"[/citation]

I liked the addition of styling, but in general I find the games prior to that better. imo nfs5 (porche) was the best game. It featured used cars, new cars, career, challenges and all the online stuff the others did too. And it featured handling impacting damage. Anyway. nfs6 was the last nfs game where I felt handling was reasonable. Now it's a bit like burnout - just hit the handbreak, and the car will take the corner for you. Even doing wheelspin when doing so .... also in a rwd car

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
[citation][nom]ravenware[/nom]EA should remove the 'F' from SHIFT, it would be an accurate description.[/citation]

LOL. So true.

kelbo

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
well, let me see If I can remember which need for speed have I played.
* hot pursuit
* porsche
* hot pursuit 2
* underground
* underground 2
* most wanted
* carbon
* pro street
* undercover

and very likely this new when it comes out.
does that make me a fan?? hehe

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]kelbo[/nom]well, let me see If I can remember which need for speed have I played.* hot pursuit* porsche* hot pursuit 2* underground* underground 2* most wanted* carbon* pro street* undercoverand very likely this new when it comes out.does that make me a fan?? hehe[/citation]
You might've missed the most remarkable experience in need for speed then!
After nfs2 was released, they released a new version nfs2se - which supported 3dfx. That switch to 3d hardware might've been the best thing they ever put in the game! ofc that's normal now, but back then I remember I was amazed by those bees being stuck on the 'screen' when driving your mclaren f1 in the outback or whatever the track was called.

Also I believe only the first 3 nfs games had hidden levels. Kinda missing from the later versions. All they have are promotional skins that nobody truely want anyway.

bertschkid

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I agree with other posters that Porsche Unleashed was one of the best NFS games ever. The other top game of the series was the original Hot Pursuit. To bad it doesn't work well on Vista and since I have a special edition version I can't use the Vista patch that is floating around the net.

Having played NFS, NFS II, Hot Pursuit, Highstakes, Porsche Unleashed, Hot Pursuit 2, Underground, Underground 2, MostWanted, and Carbon I still find the original games to be the most fun. While I did enjoy most of these other games the all night tracks in the Undergrounds drove me crazy and Carbon was just a cheap and ripoff of MostWanted.

Most Wanted was actually more enjoyable then the Undergrounds as they had the cop chases back as well as a bunch of other game modes that were pretty fun.

I didn't even bother playing the games after Carbon as I heard they were all not very good.

I also enjoy Forza and Forza 2 on the Xbox and am looking forward to a similar type game on the PC that is more simulation but still lets you modify your cars.

I really home Shift is close to Forza or the GT series which I also liked when I had a PS2.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Porsche Unleashed was the best NFS ever. I have played all of them and the only one I can stand to play is Porsche. All of the cop chases, driving around town to complete "missions" and the rest of the shi*t detracted from the racing. Just give me racing, thats what a racing game is about. Now if they were to update the graphics of Porsche, and add say, Ferraris and Lambos, that would be a winner!

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I felt handling was reasonable. Now it's a bit like burnout - just hit the handbreak, and the car will take the corner for you. Even doing wheelspin when doing so .... also in a rwd car[/citation]

Yes, they really disappointed me, so far ive been playing Forza2 and loving not going back to the current NFS titles.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]RiotSniperX[/nom]Yes, they really disappointed me, so far ive been playing Forza2 and loving not going back to the current NFS titles.[/citation]

I'm not entirely hating the NFS titles. I like a little arcade style racing now and then, but a true racing simulation is hard to beat. NFSMostWanted was a very fun game I thought. Carbon was very dark and wasn't fun to play. I gave it another chance and went with Pro Street and learned my lesson well. I will go back and play NFSMW occasionally, but Carbon and Pro Street can collect all the dust they deserve!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm still playing porche from time to time, but other than that I don't really play nfs games anymore. I've tried all nfs games, and I might try out the newest, but I probably won't buy another one.
At least the store let me return my underground 2 game back then (replaced with max payne 2 which wasn't as disappointing) ... but I can't return games now that I'm using play.com

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]I'm not entirely hating the NFS titles. I like a little arcade style racing now and then, but a true racing simulation is hard to beat. NFSMostWanted was a very fun game I thought. Carbon was very dark and wasn't fun to play. I gave it another chance and went with Pro Street and learned my lesson well. I will go back and play NFSMW occasionally, but Carbon and Pro Street can collect all the dust they deserve![/citation]

Yup, i stopped at carbon,tried out pro street, then bought forza2, defenitly MW and Underground are good games, but the latter are horrible.

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I like simple racing games. Guess im just lazy. All the customization and individual upgrades give me headaches. Just give me different paint schemes and put me on the track.

Anyone play R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 for the PS1? Great maps, simple racing, and a fun soundtrack. I still break it out on my PS2 from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.