PC going through thermal shutdown but temps are nowhere near the thermal shutdown limits

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 12, 2018
Hello, this is my first post, so excuse the mistakes.

My computer is going through processor thermal trip apparently but the temps are near 45-60 degrees on load, I tried changing power options in the settings to balanced,power saver and high performance. High performance used to crash as soon as I clicked it before but now it stays on for 3-4 minutes before shutting down, balanced on 80% max processor limit stays on for about half an hour without load and with load it goes shuts down within 10 minutes and power saver stays on for quite a while but it's very laggy. The temps are around 44-50 on all cores in about 70% load and the processor is an Q6600. The computer just crashes out of the blue and for no reason at all. I have a 500W PSU as well, and a new aftermarket fan with thermal compound installed and tried with case open and adding an extra case fan but nothing works.The motherboard is Intel DG31PR.

Earlier, the computer was also shutting down but it was another error it was PXE ROM failure I believe and I fixed it through turning off booting in network cards in the BIOS. The thermal shutdown problem still existed back then but the main reason was the PXE ROM one but after disabling that one my PC shuts down after every 3-5 minutes because of the thermal trip.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram does fail, it's rare but it happens. Mostly when it fails its in the first 64k and you'll actually get that error. If it's just a compatability issue, you can try adding 0.005v - 0.01v to ram voltage and see if that works.

But it does seem like you found the issue, and it's not thermal shutdowns.

Sep 12, 2018

2 rams instantly fail to start while 1 stick of ram holds on high performance for more than a hour before showing the problem and how to add the voltage? thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In your bios, you'll see a few settings dealing with ram speeds, xmp etc. In that bunch, you'll see a setting for dram voltage, it'll be anywhere from 1.65v to 2.0v for your ram, so a small bump to 1.66v or 2.01v will be fine.

If that doesn't work to stabilize the ram, then I'm going to guess that there's either an issue with the motherboard (the memory controller is part of the Northbridge chipset) or you might need to bump the NB Voltage slightly to deal with 2 sticks. Northbridge overheating/failure isn't uncommon on those boards, ppl have often mounted microfans to them, changed the paste/thermal pads etc in attempts to keep that thing cooler. Lower voltage ram is always a plus, but not always feasible.

Sep 12, 2018

Well, the BIOS is so old there is no RAM overclocking stuff over there, I'm gonna run this pc half dead for a month before my board exams are over in November.I plan on getting a new PC then, I'll drop a list of the parts, can you tell me how it should do in 1080p gaming and the changes I can make for a 400$ PC, mainly wanna play fifa, fortnite and some other AAA titles.

Ryzen 3 2200g
2x4GB DDR4 2666MHZ Ballistix RAM or maybe 8 gig DDR4 and a 4 gig DDR4 with 2 gig of ram to the Vega 8 graphics so it leaves me with 10 gigs of ram.
500W EVGA PSU
ASUS PRIME B350M-A Motherboard
1 TB HDD
The total cost of the system in my country is 34000 taka or 425$(with the price of case).

Or,

Intel Xeon X3430
Gigabyte H55M motherboard
R9 280X
Evga 500W PSU
2x4GB DDR3 RAM
1 TB HDD

which rounds upto about 28000 TK or 350$.