[SOLVED] Pc has bad internet speed even with fast internet - only getting 20mbps!

Mar 7, 2022
Hey everyone I have a very odd problem with my Pc. When I test my wired/wireless internet speeds I'm only getting around 20 mbps download and it varies a lot even on ethernet. I used the same wifi test on my laptop and phone which use wireless and got over 400mbps. This is also a somewhat recent issue with my pc. I remember using the wifi speed test after installing the new wifi and remember getting around 400mbps on a wifi connection, this was only a few months ago. I have also ran AVG which says I have no viruses. The only thing I can think of is if the motherboard is going bad or something? I dont think its the ethernet cable as I just bought it today and its cat8. Ill list my specs below.

Pc specs
motherboard- MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon Ac https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/b450-gaming-pro-carbon-ac
Cpu- ryzen 5 3600
Gpu- Gigabyte 2060
32 gigs ram
I think a 550 power supply
Running off a ssd with extra hard drives

Ethernet cable
Cat 8 50 ft, https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Int...1646698421&sprefix=cat+8+50+ft,aps,111&sr=8-5

Internet
I have a Netgear Orbi router with one satellite my pc is plugged straight into the router
the model number is Orbi AX4200
Also I don't know what this means but on the Orbi app its say my pc is connected to RBR750 Ethernet

Solution
What I would try next is get a USB linux boot image to see if it is some issue inside of windows. Most these linux systems are designed to run fully from the USB and not touch your drive. They all generally have a browser like chrome preinstalled so you can just run speedtest like you do on windows.

This should quickly show you if the problem is hardware.

The big problem is there is so much trash in windows lately. I can be anything from drivers to the browser.

If you have a second pc you might try a old program called IPERF. This should let you transfer between 2 machines in your house at over 900mbps. It is very simple program that runs from line mode so it not impacted by things like browsers or even disk/memory/cpu...
What does the speed show on the interface...it should be 1gbit.

It is not likely the any cat8 cable you see sold actually meets the standards. It is used pretty much only in enterprise class data centers and cost a lot more almost 10 times the cost of cat6a so when it is cheap it is likely a fake.

That cables also uses wires that are too thin to meet the standards for ethernet cable. Even their advertising is suspect, it show a test using a about a 10ft cable but your cable is 50ft. Part of the reason for the wire size is because of distance.

This is all a marketing scam targeted at people that think a bigger number is always better. You need nothing better than a cat5e cable to get full gigabit speed out to 100 meters.

I would try a short cable near the router and see if it runs any different. There are some other things that cuase problem like this but it is going to be fastest to test a cable first.

One note is I see your mother board claims "gaming lan". This more marketing garbage. If it is loading any software related to QoS or prioritizing game traffic you want to uninstall it. It can do nothing about traffic outside you machine and if you have a network bottleneck internal to the machine you are doing silly stuff like running torrent downloads in the back ground while you try to play a game.

Mar 7, 2022
What does the speed show on the interface...it should be 1gbit.

It is not likely the any cat8 cable you see sold actually meets the standards. It is used pretty much only in enterprise class data centers and cost a lot more almost 10 times the cost of cat6a so when it is cheap it is likely a fake.

That cables also uses wires that are too thin to meet the standards for ethernet cable. Even their advertising is suspect, it show a test using a about a 10ft cable but your cable is 50ft. Part of the reason for the wire size is because of distance.

This is all a marketing scam targeted at people that think a bigger number is always better. You need nothing better than a cat5e cable to get full gigabit speed out to 100 meters.

I would try a short cable near the router and see if it runs any different. There are some other things that cuase problem like this but it is going to be fastest to test a cable first.

One note is I see your mother board claims "gaming lan". This more marketing garbage. If it is loading any software related to QoS or prioritizing game traffic you want to uninstall it. It can do nothing about traffic outside you machine and if you have a network bottleneck internal to the machine you are doing silly stuff like running torrent downloads in the back ground while you try to play a game.
Thanks for the info, so i hooked everything up with a shorth 3 foot cable and ran test. This time it improved but still only 25mbps download, roughly the same I get using wifi on my pc

What I would try next is get a USB linux boot image to see if it is some issue inside of windows. Most these linux systems are designed to run fully from the USB and not touch your drive. They all generally have a browser like chrome preinstalled so you can just run speedtest like you do on windows.

The big problem is there is so much trash in windows lately. I can be anything from drivers to the browser.

If you have a second pc you might try a old program called IPERF. This should let you transfer between 2 machines in your house at over 900mbps. It is very simple program that runs from line mode so it not impacted by things like browsers or even disk/memory/cpu limitations.

Solution
Mar 7, 2022

If you have a second pc you might try a old program called IPERF. This should let you transfer between 2 machines in your house at over 900mbps. It is very simple program that runs from line mode so it not impacted by things like browsers or even disk/memory/cpu limitations.
Ok thanks I'll do this when I get home