Question PC has been getting progressively slower after trying to fix low GPU utilisation

Oct 29, 2021
My specs:
i7-7700k cpu
pny rtx 3070 gpu
msi z270 gaming plus mobo
16gb ram ddr4 dual channel
650w psu
250gb samsung evo 970 ssd (not sure if necessary info but)

So I got my 3070 about 10 months ago and ever since I got it, I had pretty low utilisation in even games like Warzone (rarely going above 30%). I decided to finally research and try and fix my problem and I found a thread on the r/3070 subreddit and I disabled hpet, dynamic tick, synthetic timers, nx, hyper virtualization and my tpm. This seemed to have fixed my problem, utilisation averaging at about 80% now .
However after a few days I was playing a match of Fortnite with my friends and halfway through the match my pc just turned off .I thought that perhaps my gpu overheated from the higher utilisation but that wasn't the case. I monitored my temps while playing a few more games and it kept turning off. I dusted my fans just to make sure but it was still doing it.
I did a clean reinstall of my graphics drivers, reset my bios, undid the things that I did to fix my utilisation in the first place but none of them fixed it. I did another test by taking out my gpu and running Apex Legends, which usually turns my pc off when I try to run it, on my integrated graphics and it was fine.
I was wondering if high load was causing the sudden turn offs.
However over the next couple of days it got progressively worse, it started turning off randomly, for example when I open Discord. As of this morning my entire PC has slowed down. Programs taking much longer to open and even games such as Osu! are starting to stutter.
CPU usage and disk usage are fine. Temps are fine. I don't know what is causing the problem. I'm considering if maybe my PSU is a bit faulty or maybe even my mobo because its quite old.

Any suggestions?

TL;DR pc is getting progressively slower and I am not sure why. It is not overheating.

Edit: Well, seems I have fixed the problem. Much simpler than I thought. Booted pc into safe mode to see if it was faster that way and it totally was so I uninstalled Geforce Experience which fixed my problem. Strange.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage (650 watts noted), age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Heavy past use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Oct 29, 2021
PSU: make, model, wattage (650 watts noted), age, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Heavy past use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

PSU: Litepower 650W. It's about 10 months old and its in decent condition as far as I'm aware of.

Heavy use for gaming, I edit videos with premiere pro and vegas. No bit mining.

Resource management seems okay. My CPU, disk and ram usage is normal.

Edit: I have an SSD which I have already listed and 2 other HDDs that I'm not sure the make of. System is installed on the SSD and has 70gb free out of 250gb.

Last edited: