Question Pc in minifridge

Roddie.the.gamer

Commendable
Feb 22, 2019
Would it be smart if someone put their setup in a computer?
Maybe it's smart for overclocking or something but it probably keeps it cool
Tell me if I should try it

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No. Refrigerators are designed to maintain temperature from items that don't actively heat the interior. They are not designed to handle the heat of an active PC.

Yep, absolutely correct. Refrigerators and freezers are only designed to remove thermal load ONCE and then maintain temperature. A PC is constantly dumping heat when it is powered on, which will cause a compressor to run non-stop and eventually fail.

Also, refrigerators and freezers are very well insulated, so while they're good at keeping cold temps in under normal operation, they would also keep in all that heat just as effectively, expediting the failure of the compressor.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Your should be 'you're', as in 'you are wrong'. It is a abbreviation of these two words, not a possessive form of your, such as 'using an incorrect form of the word or phrase was 'your' mistake'.

Also, you forgot your <sarcasm> and <humor> tags in your response.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Only if you use the compressor, which takes a while to make it, you need tools to solder the copper tubes, store the gas, then re fuel the gas later.
Known as Freon cooling
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKG4F8ANu4

Yep, this is one way that it would work. I've also seen others do a slush box with a window A/C unit and pump chilled glycol through a cooling loop. I actually use this method for brewing beer and regulating temperatures during fermentation.

Yep, this is one way that it would work. I've also seen others do a slush box with a window A/C unit and pump chilled glycol through a cooling loop. I actually use this method for brewing beer and regulating temperatures during fermentation.
slush box with a window A/C unit and pump chilled glycol through a cooling loop
"My brain cannot process this line"
Yeah in general, you need experience to do that or a learning curve.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Here's a link with the concept: https://www.longislandhomebrew.com/...8/DIY-Homebrew-Glycol-Chiller-David-Kucko.pdf

Essentially, the window A/C unit evaporator coil is submerged in glycol, it gets sub-freezing, so you cannot just use water as it will freeze into a solid block - I tested this just to be sure.

You want to cool the 'reservoir' or the ice chest, which is well insulated. From there, you have submerged pumps to circulate coolant through the system to chill the fermenters, in my case these are 50 foot copper coils that surround my stainless steel tanks. For watercooling, you would pump this through the cooling loop.