Question PC instantly shuts off under load ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EujinaJean

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Hello I have had an issue where my pc will instantly shut off and require a power cycle (flip my power supply on and off) to be able to turn on again. This has happened only while in games (many different games too).
Specs:
Ryzen 9 5900x
Asus TUF 3090
Seasonic PRIME 1000W 80+ Titanium

I've had this computer build for about 5 months. I've had almost no issues at all with it (other than me being dumb and connecting a USB wrong in an external usb hub). I've had a windows 11 OS since it was released but 3 days ago I reinstalled it fresh after telling windows to keep no personal files on the reinstall. I also did DDU and had to reinstall all my programs from scratch. I took opportunity to OC my 3090. The step I took Core Voltage to maximum Power Limit to max Core clock increment by 10 until system instability during stress test decrement and stress test again repeat for memory clock but by increments of 25

After doing like 4 different stress tests with absolutely nothing wrong (+110 core clock +625 memory clock) I started gaming and I ran into the pc shutting off randomly. I gradually railed back the OC until I reset literally everything (including core voltage and power limit) to their default values again. The PC STILL randomly instantly shuts off during games. (nothing intensive even needs to happen). The consistent games I've been testing with are Vermintide 2, Deep rock galactic (this one is consistent on instantly killing my PC on load), and Red dead redemption 2.

I have power settings in windows on Balanced and Nvidia Control Panel has Prefer High Performance. I assume it has something to do with my power supply but I feel like 1000W should be enough to not instantly shut off when I'm running my specs non OC (also it was fine for the months prior to my fresh install and OC attempt).

After asking people (in the end they couldn't find the solution) I changed my AI overclock setting from Auto to D.O.C.P and back. Neither setting fixes it. I tried reseating my gpu by taking it off the vertical riser I had it on. I plugged it directly onto my mobo and it still didn't fix itself.
I tried OCCT CPU Stress Test, GPU Stress Test, and their PSU Stress test and nothing went wrong. I tried Time Spy Stress Test and the regular benchmark and nothing went wrong. Prime95 and nothing went wrong. I tried doing memcheck on my ram and nothing showed up. I updated my bios and checked for a vbios update and it didn't fix it.

There are 2 things I DID manage to find out about the problem though.
I swapped my 3090 TUF for my old 980ti and the problem did not happen even when I opened up Deep Rock Galactic (which normally instantly crashed my pc on load) and Vermintide 2. So it is isolated to my newer GPU BUT I'm not sure if that means it's the GPU itself has a problem or if the PSU can't handle something with the 3090 (since it is a big increase in power draw)

This may be a big find but unsure. I ran Furmark Stress Test and it would consistently shut down my pc while all the other stress tests did not. I went into MSI afterburner and I set my power limit to 80% and I no longer have any problems during the benchmark. I'm still unsure what to make of this since, for one, I can't tell if this means the PSU or GPU is messed up since it's the power draw part of the GPU, and second, the only thing that happened since me not having this problem is reinstalling Windows 11 fresh and me OCing my card (which I reverted back to default and the issues still popped up).

Unsure if this last part is relevant but when the instant shut off happens I can't power back on unless I turn the power supply switch off and let my mobo turn off completely. During this the only things lighting up on my mobo are the start button that's directly on the mobo and the 2 ram sticks I got on there. No case fans, CPU AIO cooler, or gpu are lit up.

Is there anything I can do to fix my problem someway somehow?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to have HWMonitor running in the background to see what your temps are when the shut down takes place. Also, your specs are incomplete. You're advised to list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

What BIOS version are you working with? Where did you source the installer for the OS? How are you cooling the processor? You might want to see if relocating to another wall outlet changes what you're experiencing. Chances are you might be having a grounding problem considering you need to flip the rocker switch on the PSU...that or the PSU might need a closer look/replacing.

EujinaJean

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
You might want to have HWMonitor running in the background to see what your temps are when the shut down takes place. Also, your specs are incomplete. You're advised to list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

What BIOS version are you working with? Where did you source the installer for the OS? How are you cooling the processor? You might want to see if relocating to another wall outlet changes what you're experiencing. Chances are you might be having a grounding problem considering you need to flip the rocker switch on the PSU...that or the PSU might need a closer look/replacing.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive <- windows 11 is on that
Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
2x Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card
PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Chassis: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Razer ATX Full Tower Case

I got Windows 11 from the get updates button on the Windows settings area. I got Windows 10 with an official license.
The Bios I just updated and it's Version 3801 that I flashed from their website. I'm unsure of the outlet idea since I've run not only this setup but my previous setup (albeit much older) on the same surge protector from the same outlet for about 5 years. This rig also worked on the same setup for 5 months by now. I will see tomorrow (it is early in the morning I've been up too long trying to fix this) if swapping it will work.

I have done some more tests and have some GPU z Logs from crashes and from stable conditions (at 80% power limit) but I don't know if I can post files here so I'm unsure how to share those results. I also found out running superposition that even at 80% power limit (which I can 100% say is much much much more stable) my system will instantly shut off. This was after I had just ran Furmark (again at 80% power limit) for 30 minutes with no problem too. After Power Cycling I ran it again and got a stable run at 80% power limit. I'll share a screenshot of the results of it.

EDIT: I just swapped the outlet it was plugged into into an actually wall socket instead of a surge protector and it just not work. I still instantly got pc shut down on running Furmark at 100% power limit.

Last edited:

EujinaJean

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Update:

I posted this in a PCMasterRace Tech Support Discord yesterday and It was mentioned that my Vram may be fried? Unsure of how to even check that or if it's right but I ran the Time Spy Stress Test about 3 times and passed after that suggestion. 2 of the times I was at 80% power Draw and the third time I was heavily OCed at +120 Core Clock and +600 Memory. I reverted back to default values and even though I passed those stress tests when I ran games it instantly shut off again.

I was told that it was probably a PSU issue since there was post on a forum about my specific PSU and tripping OCP/

"Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected."

I had my doubts because I had used this PSU with absolutely no issue before freshly installing Windows 11 and OCing. I reset my OC and even Underclocked so I couldn't imagine that it would still be the GPU tripping the OCP. I ran a bunch of tests and at 80% power limit on my GPU I had MUCH better system stability than before but I could still get crashes oh Furmark Stress Test. It seemed to point to the PSU until some tests I did today.

Today, I tried to do a hail mary test and I ran the usual tests to see what would change. I ran Furmark and it does NOT seem to be the case even when the GPU spikes past 350W. (Current Maximum Board Power Draw reported by GPU Z is 358.7) Memory Temp is going to 96 degrees C and GPU is averaging 63 C. This is under 99% GPU load. This did not trigger OCP.

I also am currently running OCCT's PSU Stress test (been about 7 minutes) and I'm currently still running strong at 100% power limit. I'm logging the OCCT Power Test. Both the CPU and GPU are at 100% usage. One thing to note is that the GPU Memory usage is low at around 3.86% constantly. The CPU and GPU seem to be drawing a lot of power each. CPU Package Power is Sitting at ~134.7W and GPU Power at ~349W. I'm gonna let it run the whole hour but I feel like it's a big sign that it didn't instantly die like before for some unknown reason. If it's not instantly shutting off at maximum power draw from both CPU and GPU both at 100% load then surely something else must be up? or is OCCT unreliable for testing such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.