Question PC is frozen after waking up from Sleep ?

EricLindberg

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
Hello,

I built a new PC a month or two ago and have had the same problem popping up. When my PC goes into sleep mode, I can wake it up with the mouse or keyboard per usual, but everything on the screen is frozen when the monitors turn on. I can't move the mouse or use the keyboard anymore at this point. I've tried CTRL+ALT+DELETE and nothing happens. The only way to fix it is to manually power it off/on using the physical button on my tower.

I originally installed Windows 10 on my PC where I initially ran into this problem. So I tried updating drivers and messing with a bunch of settings, but I had no luck. I re-installed Windows 10 a few times hoping it was just a bug, but the same problem occurred. A few days ago I installed Windows 11 onto my computer in hopes that would fix it, but the same problem is still occurring in Windows 11. The latest thing I've done was update my BIOS, but that didn't help either.

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do next. I've tried a bunch of other things online, but haven't came across a solution. When I turn sleep mode off, the PC will not freeze. However, I'd prefer to use it if I can. The other thing is if I manually put the PC into sleep mode and wake it up a few minutes later, everything is normal. It only happens when the PC is in sleep mode for a few hours where it freezes up. I'm not sure if I'm missing something super obvious or if its a deeper problem. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PC SPECS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z590-A Gaming Wifi
BIOS Version: 1007 (Updated Yesterday)
Storage: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB
Ram: 32.0 GB (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800))
Power Supply: EVGA GP Series SuperNOVA 1000W ATX 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Power Supply

Power plan is now set to Ultimate Performance - Turn off Display: 45 minutes - Put the Computer to sleep 1 Hour

Last edited: