Question PC is running hot on idle

gabness1

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
I installed an AIO (this one ->https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...I3O2b7wnYb0dLTUp_rwaAkJ3EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) a few months ago and ever since the PC has not gotten any cooler, and sometimes even hotter than the old wraith stealth cooler. The CPU seems to run from 30 degrees at start up and idle from 45 to 60 degrees. If i touch my case it is boiling hot. My 3 fans all run quite loud, although i think they are only run at about 60% (around 1200rpm). GPU is at 50 degrees. I have had my pc powered on for hours now and we are recently having a heatwave in the uk. My room is an attic conversion so all the hot air comes up to my room but is the temps of my pc something I should be worried about?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Linustech put out a video of two AIOs vs a Noctua cpu fan and the Noctua cpu fan came out the winner. So if you think you didn't need to drop a dime on that AIO, maybe so!

Here's one of the videos. There is I think another Linustech video on this subject but I'm not finding it at the moment.

My GPU today, according to CPUID, has run from 29 to 63C and currently is at 58 with just net cruising and streaming music.

The CPU has run 28 to 51 currently at 37 (Ryzen 5 2600X).

Running a tough benchmark like Unigine's Superposition (extreme) pushes my cpu up to about 60 and the gpu card to 70 to 74.

If your room is running hotter than normal so will your cooling system. The same is true of your car by the way, very cold ambient temps will keep the car engine temp down and very hot ambient temps will push the engine's operating temp up. Usually it has to be pretty extreme to notice. So if your room is 10 degrees hotter than normal then it would be smart to expect it to show in your CPU temps.

A CPU at 45 to 60 is within specs but frankly if your wraith ran cooler maybe you should put it back in and count yourself a wiser man. There's no arguing with superior results. If you want something quieter consider a Noctua, though the wraith cooler that came with my 2600X was very quiet. I have read that the 2600X has a better fan than the plain and simple 2600. If I didn't have a long history of using Noctua I probably would have left it in.

Greg N

Last edited:
120mm AOI is not gonna be better than air cooling tbh.

i mean even 240/280mm aio match d15 in most cases.

and room temp will influence any form of cooling.

also....depending on how hot the inside of case is i'd worry more about vrm temps with AIO (since goign aio u remove the fan that usually keeps em cooled)

gabness1

Commendable
Mar 1, 2019
I think one of the reasons could be me not fitting the aio on the cpu heatsink evenly. It might be screwed on more on one side than on the other but i am not 100% sure. I will order new thermal paste and redo the aio screwing it on and if that makes no difference, i will just sell the aio and use the stock wraith cooler. If this helps my case is the aerocool cyclon in white, it doesnt have alot of space for intake and i replaced the stock fan (at the back) with an rgb one and the radiator is at the front of the case but another reason might be the radiator is not getting enough air.