Question PC is stuck in a restart loop on the boot screen

Dec 30, 2023
Hey, I have a pre-built Maingear VYBE 3070 that I've had for two years (specs should be correct, taken from a third party site cause I couldn't find it on maingear and I haven't changed any components).

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Cooler Master 240mm AiO Cooler
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Founders Edition
16GB Kingston Fury RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory
512GB Intel 660p NVMe M.2 SSD
1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Computer randomly restarted a couple days ago during use, and now it continues to restart without starting. I get the boot up screen, and the dots spin around 1.5 times before freezing and restarting. Every other time this happens it will have "preparing automatic repair", but never gets anywhere. I can get into the bios, but can't launch the safe mode with f8.

I haven't messed with the ram yet, but only because they're behind a massive fan unit. My assumption is theres something wrong with the boot drive (I've disconnected all the others to no effect), but I'd like some feedback before I try a full format and reinstall.

One thing that seems to differ this from what I've seen from other people is a lot of people mention that they get no screen, but I do get a boot up with the maingear logo, it just crashes right after. And while the screen goes black, all the lights and fans stay on inside the pc, which I don't recall happening during a normal restart.

Dec 30, 2023
I could see the original restart being a temp problem, but it's been happening every time I try for a couple days, nothing in there is hot.

I know nothing about Linux, unfortunately.

Incept3d

Distinguished
May 9, 2016
Do you have integrated graphics in the motherboard? Try removing power connectors from the GPU then booting. From there it's just removing a piece of hardware from the equation. Including trying to boot with just a single stick or RAM testing each one. You can try resetting bios as well. I had a similar issue a few years ago and turned out to be my GTX 1070

Dec 30, 2023
Was having troubles with an Ubuntu flash drive, so I decided to just try the boot drive in a different pc. It wouldn't show up (as a boot option in the bios, or in file Explorer when booted normally) but I can't say if that's because the drive is dead or because I just installed it incorrectly or something; it's an M.2.

Dec 30, 2023
Thinking the problems I had with the Ubuntu stick were actually a result of the pc doing the same reboot when trying to boot Linux, which means it *is* a hardware problem. (and the fact that the m.2 drive shows up on my bios but not the bios for the other pc means I probably did connect it improperly, which I suppose is good news) Will test GPU and ram tomorrow.