[SOLVED] Pc keeps crashing(Bsod) since I have 2 ram sticks installed(Doesn't crash with 1 stick)

oknorton

Prominent
Oct 7, 2019
Hey everyone,
I recently upgraded to 16gigs of RAM, since this update I've been experiencing multiple blue screens of death.
My pc specs are:
Cpu: amd ryzen 5 2600
Gpu: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
RAM: 2 sticks of G.Skill AEGIS F4-2400C15S-8GIS
- Slotted in Slots A2 & B2

Ive tested each ram Stick separately with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool which didn't detect anything.
UEFI defaults to DDR4-2133Hz when using auto settings, when I changed this to DDR4-2400 the crashes became way less frequent but still occur from time to time.
Ive checked and updated all my drivers, this doesn't seem to be the problem.
The most common windows bsod error is MEMORY_MANAGMENT || UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP
Some help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly ryzen can be very sensitive to this.

My only suggestion is to enter the bios and increase the ram voltage a bit above the default.
The alternative is to return the ram in favor of a matched 16gb kit that is explicitly supported either by g.skil or by your motherboard qvl list.

Test with memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here...
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, particularly ryzen can be very sensitive to this.

My only suggestion is to enter the bios and increase the ram voltage a bit above the default.
The alternative is to return the ram in favor of a matched 16gb kit that is explicitly supported either by g.skil or by your motherboard qvl list.

Test with memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution