[SOLVED] PC KEEPS CRASHING< NEED HELP!

Jan 29, 2021
Hi guys, I am in need of help. I used to use a 27inch monitor and a old system, I recently bought a 49inch samsung super ultrawide and used it on my old system no issues, decided to upgrade and build a new system.
I built my new system on 18th december
i7 9900k default clock speed
ram 32gb of corsair rgb ram
msi z390 a pro motherboard
1000w psu given by a friend.
rtx 2070super
corsair h100i cooler (recently installed to try fix my system)
3ssd drives all 1tb and a samsung 4tb HDD as external for my business backup
I can play call of duty no crashes and call of duty cold war no crashes either. play battlefield v, gta or any other high intensive games it crashes. I will be playing 15 min to 3 hours and my pc will freeze the screen locks up but i can still see the game where it has froze, pc stays on and all fans are running etc. I have to hard reset the pc at the power or mains, this has persitted since i built this new system.
I have built the system correctly as I have built many systems before in my old job.

FIXES I HAVE TRIED
I have tried all fixes i can find to try sort it, turning xmp on and off
I have looked at event viewer there is nothing there accept it says, system shutdown.
I have had no blue screens of death with this issue.
removed all software that controls pc
at first i thought it was windows causing pc crashes, I reinstalled windows still crashing
I have updated bios version and down graded it, still crashes
I have tried old ram and new ram it still crashes
I tried my old video card and it still crashed
I upgraded my cooler incase cpu was overheating even though temps were kinda normal )still crashed)
I recently saw a post about icue software crashing, so i uninstalled and an hour in it crashed.
I have scanned my ram and hard drive and stress tested the pc and cant get it to crash, as soon as i play a game it crashes. but i can do 11 hours in windows with no issues
I have tried drivers for intel and nvidia still no luck, no versions sort it.
I have uninstalled audio drivers and still get crashes.
I have tried everything software possible to try stop it, tried closing logitech and razer software, it still crashes.
I have tried various game fixes incase it was the game and it still crashed.

I have just purchased and new powersupply as I believe my powersupply could be the culprit being 7 years old as thats what other pages I have read up on state.
I have just ordered a new display port cable and hard drive cables incase that could be causing something
My next step if the psu does not fix it is to rma the motherboard and try another one or even try a new cpu in this board.

if anyone has anymore ideas please let me know, I have probs missed a few fixes off here that i have tried.

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Solution
I've never heard of 'auto overclocking". If I were you, I'd follow the instructions in your motherboard manual on how to Clear CMOS (Make sure the PSU is either turned off or not plugged in when you do this!). I'd then reboot into BIOS and do a "reset to factory defaults". At that point your system should NOT be overclocked.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
remove gpu and use 1 ram module with os ssd in see how it goes then had one other at the time go on with test process after all ssd be test use ther maker software to have heath report on them then finaly had the hdd and test software also on him to made sure it is not the external hdd case the issue .

Jan 29, 2021
remove gpu and use 1 ram module with os ssd in see how it goes then had one other at the time go on with test process after all ssd be test use ther maker software to have heath report on them then finaly had the hdd and test software also on him to made sure it is not the external hdd case the issue .

I have tested all SSD drives with two different health checker software, comes back clear, I have removed external drive from system, still crashed, I have done mem test and it came clear, tried my old ram, friends ram and my new ram, still crashes. I have tried old gpu and new gpu, still crashes

Jan 29, 2021
did you remove gpu and use onboard also if you did change board or cpu you have reinstall the os on the ssd .

not tried on board graphics as it only crashes while gaming and i have tried two gpus, so i cant see it being a faulty gpu etc, i have reinstalled windows twice still persists

Jan 29, 2021
My main suspect would be the PSU and I think this is a good idea.>>>>>

"I have just purchased and new powersupply as I believe my powersupply could be the culprit being 7 years old as thats what other pages I have read up on state."

It arrives tomorrow, hoping it fixes the issue, I thought if my powersupply was struggling or dying that it would just cut out....do you know why my system just hangs?

Jan 29, 2021
Have a look at this

In particular, look at post #9.
"
Apparently the msi z390 a pro does not have a beefy VRM that a i9-9900k needs. Try doing a Google search on "msi z390-a pro i9-9900k"

you thinking my motherboard is not powerful enough to run the processor? Everyone on the reviews were praising the motherboard and that they overclocked it to 4.9 with no issues, this is my last resort to send this board back

It arrives tomorrow, hoping it fixes the issue, I thought if my powersupply was struggling or dying that it would just cut out....do you know why my system just hangs?
A power supply that isn't up to snuff can have the voltage drop below spec.
This can and does happen especially under load.
When this happens,,,,the components in the PC aren't receiving enough voltage and can't operate properly and can result in what you are seeing (some sort of crash).
The voltages don't necessarily go to zero however.....and if the load is removed....they can actually come back within spec and this is what may be happening.

Jan 29, 2021
A power supply that isn't up to snuff can have the voltage drop below spec.
This can and does happen especially under load.
When this happens,,,,the components in the PC aren't receiving enough voltage and can't operate properly and can result in what you are seeing (some sort of crash).
The voltages don't necessarily go to zero however.....and if the load is removed....they can actually come back within spec and this is what may be happening.

thanks for that jay, I will update my post tomorrow after i have tried new power supply

Jan 29, 2021
You're welcome. The main problems I see with games freezing like that is....temps....voltages, and drivers.

I have no clue about bios votages or card voltages but i did however try various other hardawre and it still froze, can you give me some insight how voltages can crash a system? are we talking about the voltage of a gpu/cpu, system voltages or just the power supply voltage standalone? all drivers are uptodate I even roled back and tried the system with no drivers

There are three main power supply voltages. +12V, +5V and + 3.3V

If these do not remain within 5% of these values at all times....at idle and under extreme load...then you can get a crash.

These three voltages basically run everything in your system.

You can generally view these voltages in the BIOS but they generally aren't under load....so this isn't a good test.

You can run HWInfo...and then run other apps like games.....while keeping HWInfo running....and it will record the high and low voltages. This is a better check because you are checking them under load.

Jan 29, 2021
I just went digging and found my motherboard memory compatibility sheet , could it be that my memory is not a good match for my board? Its the corsair vengeance rgb pro I am using 32gb. when i type CMw16GX4M2C3600C18 it cant find it on this website https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z390-A-PRO#support-mem-3 I also tried this ram and got crashes aswell. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-(2x8gb)-corsair-vengeance-lpx-ddr4-2400-red
It can also be the memory....but as you said.....it doesn't crash in some games. I would think if it was the memory....your crashes would happen more randomly.

Jan 29, 2021
It can also be the memory....but as you said.....it doesn't crash in some games. I would think if it was the memory....your crashes would happen more randomly.

Yeah other users have said the same, I think if it was the memory would a mem test come back clear? if it is not the power supply I will purchase more ram and sort it out from there

Yeah other users have said the same, I think if it was the memory would a mem test come back clear? if it is not the power supply I will purchase more ram and sort it out from there
If it were the memory....I would expect memtest to flag it or crash.
I would run HWInfo and then run some apps and load it up....and then look at HWInfo. If any of those voltages drops more than 5% you pretty much know you need a new PSU.
OR....you can setup HWINfo to log to a file....then you can run those games that crash ....then when you reboot....you can look at the file....and if any of those voltages drop by more than 5% you know it's the PSU.

Jan 29, 2021
Hi dude, i have just downloaded HW monitor, I have never done this type of troubleshooting, is it possible to jump in a discord call for a chat, I am looking at the list of devices and voltages but lost on where to go from here, if we could talk for 5 minutes in a discord call that would be great help.....

you thinking my motherboard is not powerful enough to run the processor? Everyone on the reviews were praising the motherboard and that they overclocked it to 4.9 with no issues, this is my last resort to send this board back
I haven't read the reviews you are referring to. Could you please post link(s) to them? The comments I've read indicates the your motherboard may be good enough if you don't overclock. Other comments suggest your i9-9900k may not even be able to handle the standard all core turbo boost of 4.7 GHz. I've also read things that indicate the VRM could get very hot, although I don't know if that would cause throttling.