[SOLVED] PC keeps crashing randomly - need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2023
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my gaming PC and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what's going on. The problem is that my PC keeps crashing randomly, and after it crashes it restarts and sometimes it crashes again during the boot-up process. The most frustrating part is that it seems to happen more often when I'm playing games or working, which is when I need my PC the most.
It also doesn't freeze or goes black, it just shuts off, like the Power was cut.

I've done a few things to try to solve the problem, but so far nothing has worked. First, I checked the RAM and changed it so it has no errors in MEMTEST. After that didn't do anything, I checked and updated all my drivers. It seemed to help for some time but then it started crashing again. I also checked my PSU, which has considerably more watts than my system needs, and checked all the cables and everything seems fine, same on the Motherboard and GPU.

I should also mention that I plugged my PC into a single outlet, and that when it crashes it doesn’t go black or freeze, it just shuts off like the power was cut. I'm really at a loss here. I don't know what else to do or what might be the cause of the crashing. I even thought it might be a virus, but my antivirus software tells me that everything is fine. I've considered a broken CMOS battery, but I don't think it should cause the whole system to crash when it's already booted.
(funny enough, it crashed while writing this Post)

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel I7 10700F
GPU: ASUS ROG strix RTX 3060 TI
Motherboard: MSI Z490 Gaming Plus
NVMe: Kingston NV1 | 2TB
SSD: Crucial MX500 | 2tb
PSU: Fractal Design ION+ 2 Platinum 860W
CPU cooler: Thermaltake TOUGHLIQUID Ultra 360 All-In-One Liquid Cooler 360mm
CASE: NZXT H710

If anyone has any suggestions or advice on what might be causing the problem, I would really appreciate it. I've invested a lot of time and money into this PC, and I really want to get it working properly again.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Solution
How old is that power supply? As in, how long has it been in service on this and/or previous systems?

It doesn't matter how many watts your PSU has. It matters if it's got a problem or is simply worn out or not. Even brand new power supplies can have problems.

There are very few things that can cause the PC to simply shut off. Power supply is one. Motherboard is another. ANY component that is shorted directly to ground and is triggering the protections on the power supply is another. So basically, you are going to need to do some work and testing.

The first thing I'd do is probably remove the motherboard from the case and do some basic bench testing. That will also eliminate the possibility that the case's wiring or front panel...
How old is that power supply? As in, how long has it been in service on this and/or previous systems?

It doesn't matter how many watts your PSU has. It matters if it's got a problem or is simply worn out or not. Even brand new power supplies can have problems.

There are very few things that can cause the PC to simply shut off. Power supply is one. Motherboard is another. ANY component that is shorted directly to ground and is triggering the protections on the power supply is another. So basically, you are going to need to do some work and testing.

The first thing I'd do is probably remove the motherboard from the case and do some basic bench testing. That will also eliminate the possibility that the case's wiring or front panel electronics including the power or reset switches, USB ports or audio ports, or the front mini board that controls those things, might be to blame. It's not uncommon really to occasionally see that be the case.

Reactions: Artuna
Solution
Mar 21, 2023

The first thing I'd do is probably remove the motherboard from the case and do some basic bench testing. That will also eliminate the possibility that the case's wiring or front panel electronics including the power or reset switches, USB ports or audio ports, or the front mini board that controls those things, might be to blame. It's not uncommon really to occasionally see that be the case.

Thanks for your answer, i followed the instructions and it rly was the PSU!
It was just about a year old and already broken. Good thing i still have the receipt for warranty.

Thanks again and happy Easter.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS