Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2021
This has been a huge issue for quite some time now. Normally I'm able to find solutions within a couple days of googling everything, this is the first time I've ever come to a forum for help!

Anytime I'm playing a high resource demanding game, I'm only able to game for about 20 minutes (give or take) before my computer locks up and I have to hold down the power button to turn it off then restart it again.

Originally I thought it was overheating but my components are staying in the low 60c range while under stress. Nothing is overclocked

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Flashed & Updated my BIOS
- Updated all drivers
- Tested my memory
- Tested my Hard-Drives
- I even purchased a new MoBo and it's still happening
- Unplugging extra peripherals
- Uninstalling Realtek & Nvidia Audio Drivers

This only ever happened once but instead of locking up I got the BSOD with the error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
I found numerous solutions to that error and since following said solutions, I haven't seen the BSOD.

i9-9900k 3.6 GHz
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC ATX
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB (4x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 8GB
EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX PSU

Full List Here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JVgFbh

Feb 24, 2021
and with Ray Tracing turned off?

Yes I'm using RS6 Siege to test, the game doesn't have Ray-Tracing.

Same thing happens in BF4, BF5, and Minecraft [With High Res. Texture & Shaders] with Ray-Tracing on

Update: I just tried again with BF5 Max Settings Ray-Tracing on and it locked-up in less than 5 minutes of gameplay. CPU & GPU were around 50C

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021
Are you running the games at 1080p ? To me this still sounds like the graphics settings are set too high.

For Siege I did lower the settings but I didn't change the resolution.

Even with my settings maxed out though, I'm still getting well over 100FPS, no stuttering, no overheating before it locks up.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ow.
You are overheating.

9900k and 120mm AIO. You've got a processor that easily breaches 200w+ on an AIO rated at 140w.

Your motherboard isn't stock. Intel recommended settings for that processor say it'll reach peak wattage for a second or 3, then drop to max turbo for 56 seconds, and then settle down to TDP wattage afterwards. Msi, Gigabyte and ASRock have changed those settings on the Z490 motherboards, and those drops are gone, basically you stay at max available wattage for 99999 seconds.

So your VRM's are taking a huge power hit, as well as pushing 200ish watts through a 140w AIO in a case that NEEDS to be setup with ONLY 2 exhaust fans and NO intake fans at all.

After 20 minutes of pushing that gpu hard with triple monitors and heavy gaming, it's turning that case into an oven.

Which is cooking your storage, your VRM's, ram, motherboard chipsets etc.

I'd suggest you run HWInfo64 (sensors only) and log your gaming session. See if in fact something other than the cpu/ gpu is getting hot.

Feb 24, 2021
Ow.
You are overheating.

9900k and 120mm AIO. You've got a processor that easily breaches 200w+ on an AIO rated at 140w.

Your motherboard isn't stock. Intel recommended settings for that processor say it'll reach peak wattage for a second or 3, then drop to max turbo for 56 seconds, and then settle down to TDP wattage afterwards. Msi, Gigabyte and ASRock have changed those settings on the Z490 motherboards, and those drops are gone, basically you stay at max available wattage for 99999 seconds.

So your VRM's are taking a huge power hit, as well as pushing 200ish watts through a 140w AIO in a case that NEEDS to be setup with ONLY 2 exhaust fans and NO intake fans at all.

After 20 minutes of pushing that gpu hard with triple monitors and heavy gaming, it's turning that case into an oven.

Which is cooking your storage, your VRM's, ram, motherboard chipsets etc.

I'd suggest you run HWInfo64 (sensors only) and log your gaming session. See if in fact something other than the cpu/ gpu is getting hot.

Ohp, my case is actually different than the one listed on PC Part Picker. Forgot about that discrepancy.

I've downloaded HWinfo64, will run logging and report back

Update: All temperatures appear to be normal, even at the time of the crash

Here's the report : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZXsAMYfxHQFEDdl9IwAhLbLl35SLV7jE/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure what's happening there, if that's the report in game, you are only hitting 60-70w on that cpu in BF5. No thermal throttle, no nothing. Only line 5/6/33/34/182 had anything hitting close to 70°C. Basically the cpu isn't seeing much use at all. Which explains how that cooler is still functional. It's almost like you have that thing set on eco mode.

Gpu looks fine, voltages look good, everything appears normal. System temp is climbing, that's to be expected, but still not far out of ordinary.

Last time I saw something like this inexplicable reasons, it was an unregistered copy of windows. Between 15 and 20 minutes, lockups every time.

Only thing not checked was the psu thermals. With a decent load, if airflow is blocked, it could build up enough heat to trip the thermals. It's just odd it happens at roughly the same time period. Which makes it doubtful that it's s driver issue, those would be at random times, unless it's an external source like a router ping every 20 minutes messing with the Lan drivers.

Feb 24, 2021
Not sure what's happening there, if that's the report in game, you are only hitting 60-70w on that cpu in BF5. No thermal throttle, no nothing. Only line 5/6/33/34/182 had anything hitting close to 70°C. Basically the cpu isn't seeing much use at all. Which explains how that cooler is still functional. It's almost like you have that thing set on eco mode.

Gpu looks fine, voltages look good, everything appears normal. System temp is climbing, that's to be expected, but still not far out of ordinary.

Last time I saw something like this inexplicable reasons, it was an unregistered copy of windows. Between 15 and 20 minutes, lockups every time.

Only thing not checked was the psu thermals. With a decent load, if airflow is blocked, it could build up enough heat to trip the thermals. It's just odd it happens at roughly the same time period. Which makes it doubtful that it's s driver issue, those would be at random times, unless it's an external source like a router ping every 20 minutes messing with the Lan drivers.

Could it just be that the games aren't CPU intensive?

Fully legit install of Windows 10

I've noticed that the amount of time it takes to crash depends on the intensity of whatever it is I'm running.
  • Rainbow Six Siege I can normally get in 20 - 40 min.
  • When I went back into BFV I don't think I got a full 5 minutes.
  • Second time in BFV though I was closer to 15 min.

A router ping? That one is new to me.
I am connected to a Range Extender, is that really a possibility? I feel like it'd make sense if it was happening on a regular basis but this is only happening while the PC is under load.

Next thing I'm going to try is running a game with just the CPU (removing GPU) and see if I still get a crash

Feb 24, 2021
Probably no help because mine happened on a much lower spec PC and it looks like you have a decent PSU.... but my old PC used to do this, after a certain amount of game time it would just crash completely, and after a week or two the PSU just died completely, replaced that, and it’s been fine since, admittedly I think I was pushing the PSU with my parts.

Feb 24, 2021
Probably no help because mine happened on a much lower spec PC and it looks like you have a decent PSU.... but my old PC used to do this, after a certain amount of game time it would just crash completely, and after a week or two the PSU just died completely, replaced that, and it’s been fine since, admittedly I think I was pushing the PSU with my parts.

I think a new PSU is what I'll end up trying, nothing else seems to be working.

I even did a clean re-install of windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.