PC keeps freezing while playing games

soulr3bel

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
I just built a new pc and about a week ago it crashes anytime i play games or try to run a benchmark (like uniengine). I have removed drivers (using DDU), reinstalled several times (using different versions) I have reseated the GPU 3 times which for some odd reason seems to help for about a day then it happens again. I have also reinstalled a fresh copy of windows.. upated everything then installed my drivers. I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Specs:Intel i5 6500
ASRock Z170Pro4s
8gb Ram
Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ 8gb
PSU: 530W 80 Bronze Seassonic

I think either i have a faulty card or my PSU just isnt enough to cut it under full load.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Could you please confirm the manufacturer and model number of your power supply. I'm not aware of Seasonic ever making a 530 watt model.

When you say that your computer freezes, does it do so while you're actively in the middle of using it, with an image on frozen on the screen? Or is the computer sitting idle for any period of time, and the computer won't come out of hibernate mode, and has a black screen?

Please download HWMonitor and game or stress your system for ten minutes, then report the CPU and GPU temperatures:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

soulr3bel

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Sorry its the 520W model. SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W. Basically when i try to game first the screen flashes green a few times. Then eventually it freezes usually with a grey color. Sometimes black. Then if im lucky i can alt tab out of the game and close it then everything is more or less fine. Sometimes i have to reboot to unfreeze the pc. I will do your last recommendation now and report back.

soulr3bel

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
I just raw HWMonitor while i ran Furmark for the 10mins you suggested. The cpu hottest temp was 41 C but average was 38C and the gpu was stable at 65C. During the test the screen flickered a few times and the "fur" image in furmark started to mess up a bit. I am started to think i have a bad card. :/

TRENDING THREADS