Question PC keeps randomly hard restarting | I’m out of ideas

Dec 4, 2023
For about the last 6ish months, my PC has been having this issue where it will just randomly hard restart. It’s been gradually worsening over time, but seems to still happen completely randomly. Heavy work loads don’t seem to increase it, and it happens just as often at idle as it does doing tasks. I’ve tried resetting the CMOS, Disabling Precision Boost, and I’ve ran memtest. Temps are always good so I don’t think it’s issue with overheating. I’m to the conclusion that one of the parts is going out/defective. I’m thinking Mobo or PSU, but leaning towards it being the motherboard.

If anyone has any troubleshooting ideas that could resolve this problem, or a way to tell which part needs replaced that would be awesome. I don’t want to just throw parts at it and waste money.

Specs:
Gigabyte X570 Aorus
Ryzen 5600X
32gb Gskill Trident Z Neo (3600mhz)
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Corsair 850w PSU (Can’t remember which)
2x 1TB Samsung 980 M.2 SSDs
Windows 11 - 64 Bit

DaleH

Notable
Mar 24, 2023
For about the last 6ish months, my PC has been having this issue where it will just randomly hard restart. It’s been gradually worsening over time, but seems to still happen completely randomly. Heavy work loads don’t seem to increase it, and it happens just as often at idle as it does doing tasks. I’ve tried resetting the CMOS, Disabling Precision Boost, and I’ve ran memtest. Temps are always good so I don’t think it’s issue with overheating. I’m to the conclusion that one of the parts is going out/defective. I’m thinking Mobo or PSU, but leaning towards it being the motherboard.

If anyone has any troubleshooting ideas that could resolve this problem, or a way to tell which part needs replaced that would be awesome. I don’t want to just throw parts at it and waste money.

Specs:
Gigabyte X570 Aorus
Ryzen 5600X
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Windows 11 - 64 Bit
I'd try borrowing another power supply in order to eliminate or include it as the cause of the problem.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events being captured just before or at the times of the restarts. Check update history for any failed or problem updates.

= = = =

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place. Check all external cables and connections as well (I/O panel).

Use a bright flashlight to inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, browning or blackening, missing or loose screws, kinked or pinched wires, cracks. corrosion.....

= = = =

And, as always should be being done, ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the PC in question. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Specs:
Gigabyte X570 Aorus
Ryzen 5600X
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Windows 11 - 64 Bit
Have you installed any software before this started happening?

Latest posts