[SOLVED] Pc keeps restarting with “Kernel Power 41”

LiLKiger

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
So I just built a new PC. It has a ryzen 5 5600x, msi mech oc 5700xt, asus tuf gaming x570, Corsair 850w gold plus, and 16gb 3600mhz ram. It was restarting the pc with the error “Kernel Power 41” but me and my friend figured out it was the CPU that was causing the problem (we did this by switching out the parts one by one and testing). Then we had the idea to update BIOS, since the cpu is brand new, and low and behold, the computer started running games with no problem, no more errors or restarts. But then I was playing COD for a while, probably about an hour or two, but then it restarted again with the same error code. I am currently on vacation, but I undervolted the gpu and maxed the clock speed of my cpu to 4.5 ghz before I left and that may have fixed it, I ran cod again for another hour before I had to leave without the error. Does anyone know what the problem would be? Everything is brand new and I can’t understand why it would be doing that.

Solution
That log entry is made on the next boot of windows if a flag is set indicating that windows did not complete shutdown sequence. Generally you should not focus on the error but why the previous boot of windows did not shutdown correctly.
Motherboards have power protection circuits that respond to a signal from the power supply. Sometimes these circuits will tell the CPU to reset and you will get this error in the windows log on the reboot without any indication of a problem.
Maybe there is a power management setting in bios to tweak the settings?
In general you should not hit this case unless you are overclocking or have power issues.

USAFRet

Titan
“Kernel Power 41” means "I shut down and rebooted, and I do not know why"

undervolt and increase freq?
Return the thing back to absolute stock settings.
Does it work properly?
If not, fix that before messing with voltage and freq.

LiLKiger

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
“Kernel Power 41” means "I shut down and rebooted, and I do not know why"

undervolt and increase freq?
Return the thing back to absolute stock settings.
Does it work properly?
If not, fix that before messing with voltage and freq.
I know that at absolute stock settings it was not working properly. At first I would try to run rouge company and it would restart the pc right as I launched it, but then I updated BIOS and it appeared to work until I played about 2 hours of Call of Duty then it restarted again. I’ll be able to continue my testing when I get back home on the 28th.

USAFRet

Titan
I know that at absolute stock settings it was not working properly. At first I would try to run rouge company and it would restart the pc right as I launched it, but then I updated BIOS and it appeared to work until I played about 2 hours of Call of Duty then it restarted again. I’ll be able to continue my testing when I get back home on the 28th.
You're gaming and faffing about with undervolting, and not discovering and fixing the actual issue. Whatever that may be.

LiLKiger

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
I increased the voltage but decreased the max frequency, the max is usually 4.6, I made it 4.5

LiLKiger

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
You're gaming and faffing about with undervolting, and not discovering and fixing the actual issue. Whatever that may be.
No no no, I’m attempting to fix the issue. I undevolted the gpu and maxed the boost speed of my cpu. I undervolted to make sure my gpu was not using too much of my power supply in case that’s the issue, and I maxed the boost speed of the cpu to make sure that my pc was not restarting because of the cpu reaching too high of a speed and potentially overheating or causing some other problem.

USAFRet

Titan
No no no, I’m attempting to fix the issue. I undevolted the gpu and maxed the boost speed of my cpu. I undervolted to make sure my gpu was not using too much of my power supply in case that’s the issue, and I maxed the boost speed of the cpu to make sure that my pc was not restarting because of the cpu reaching too high of a speed and potentially overheating or causing some other problem.
You're trying to apply a fix, without knowing what the actual problem is.

LiLKiger

Reputable
Dec 1, 2016
Me and my friend did extensive testing and found out that it is either the motherboard or processor. After just doing more research I found multiple Reddit posts about people saying that they are having similar problems with the same motherboard/cpu combo. I’m thinking about returning the motherboard or going for a cheaper 3700x cpu

That log entry is made on the next boot of windows if a flag is set indicating that windows did not complete shutdown sequence. Generally you should not focus on the error but why the previous boot of windows did not shutdown correctly.
Motherboards have power protection circuits that respond to a signal from the power supply. Sometimes these circuits will tell the CPU to reset and you will get this error in the windows log on the reboot without any indication of a problem.
Maybe there is a power management setting in bios to tweak the settings?
In general you should not hit this case unless you are overclocking or have power issues.

Solution