ravilimbani

Reputable
Oct 8, 2018
Hi,

My pc keeps randomly restarting, I have monitored temps and they stay are 60/65c when under stress so don't know if the problem is overheating. I got some second-hand parts from a friend who said they used to get the blue screen I haven't got that yet.
if there are any programs I can use to check my PC please let me know. I tested the ram using windows ram checker and there was no errors, updated bios

This is the build
i7-8700
cooler master hyper 212 black editions with 2 fans
gigabyte g310m s2h 2.0
2x8GB ddr4 3222mhz
MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB
EVGA 450w Bronze

thanks

Solution
I received the motherboard, cpu and ram from him. His whole pc would blue screen but said he told me that he would torrent a lot so I thought it would be a program he installed that caused the errors
Could you boot with igpu only (dgpu unplugged from pcie slot)? if so try to do this:
  • Unplug the psu power source from wall socket, and cmos battery on motherboard, press power button for 11 seconds, and put everything back except the gpu, and power on the pc, and boot to windows
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no)...
Hi,

My pc keeps randomly restarting, I have monitored temps and they stay are 60/65c when under stress so don't know if the problem is overheating. I got some second-hand parts from a friend who said they used to get the blue screen I haven't got that yet.
if there are any programs I can use to check my PC please let me know. I tested the ram using windows ram checker and there was no errors, updated bios

This is the build
i7-8700
cooler master hyper 212 black editions with 2 fans
gigabyte g310m s2h 2.0
2x8GB ddr4 3222mhz
MSI Radeon RX 570 8GB
EVGA 450w Bronze

thanks
which part that your friend told you it bluescreens often?

ravilimbani

Reputable
Oct 8, 2018
I received the motherboard, cpu and ram from him. His whole pc would blue screen but said he told me that he would torrent a lot so I thought it would be a program he installed that caused the errors

Could you boot with igpu only (dgpu unplugged from pcie slot)? if so try to do this:
  • Unplug the psu power source from wall socket, and cmos battery on motherboard, press power button for 11 seconds, and put everything back except the gpu, and power on the pc, and boot to windows
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update, and load default or optimized settings, find HPET or High Precision Event Timer and disable that , then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• plug in the gpu back and install the latest radeon whql or optional driver

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What's the exact model of PSU? There are like two EVGA 450W PSUs I'd run with this GPU and like six or seven I would not. In any case, sudden restarts tend to be temperature or power delivery, and there's no reason to suspect temperature from the information you've given.

Do you have another known working one to test?

ravilimbani

Reputable
Oct 8, 2018
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update, and load default or optimized settings, find HPET or High Precision Event Timer and disable that , then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• plug in the gpu back and install the latest radeon whql or optional driver

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png
Thank you, I did a performance check and was missing a base driver and installed it as well completed a sfc /scannow which fixed an error I will do this as well. Thanks

ravilimbani

Reputable
Oct 8, 2018
What's the exact model of PSU? There are like two EVGA 450W PSUs I'd run with this GPU and like six or seven I would not. In any case, sudden restarts tend to be temperature or power delivery, and there's no reason to suspect temperature from the information you've given.

Do you have another known working one to test?

Hi, the one I got is EBGA 450 BT, 80+ bronze 450w power supply 100-BT-0450-k3 black

@Koekieezz mentioned CX550 power supply what are your thoughts on that. When you say the question is a lot more than the wattage number do you mean in regards to choosing a psu or I might have other issues to deal with as well? Sorry my knowledge on pc is still very basic
it's a pretty ok one, but considering the components, i would minimally choose Corsair RM650 or RM650X, and Seasonic Focus Gold 650w.