[SOLVED] PC keeps shutting down randomly!

Jan3s

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hello everyone,

So problems been happening for like 2 weeks now, what happens is PC shuts down randomly and wont boot up until i unplug the PSU and leave it for few seconds, then after plugging it in, it boots fine.

Mostly it occurs when i'm playing games, sometimes in minutes and sometimes it can run even for hours, but there is one specific time where it surely turns off, that is when i run prime95 and furmark together with OC GPU. Other than it shuts off at any random point even without OC GPU.

Things i have tried,
  1. Replacing PSU
  2. Cleaning the PC
  3. Changing ram slots
  4. Trying with 1 ram only (takes longer but still happens)
  5. Applied thermal paste on both processor and GPU (although temps are normal)
  6. Put the board out of the case to make sure there is no short
  7. Removed USB devices just to make sure those weren't the reason

PC Specs,
Ryzen 5 2600 @stock
Gigabyte AX370-GAMING 3
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHZ 2x8gb
MSi Gaming X RX 580 8GB @stock
Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W 80+ Platinum

Solution
I bought it in june, the whole pc, although the board was new but i didnt get any local warranty because it was imported, so cant RMA it.

I tried his board with same scenario, same everything just different mobo and the crash didnt occur, i ran prime95 and furmark together for serveral times with OC gpu and it ran fine, no crashes, no restarts, no shutdowns.

If you tried all your parts, but the motherboard and it worked fine, as you wrote, then I dare to said that yeah most likely the motherboard have a problem.

Question: have you tried to to go back to an older BIOS version? You said bios and drivers are all up to date. So maybe installing an older BIOS could fix the issue?

Jan3s

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
mmm....

Is Windows 10 fully patched and all important drivers up to date (chipset, gpu, sound, lan, etc.)?

Have you installed any new software, driver, or hardware prior to having this random shut down?

Windows is all up to date, as well as the drivers, i also tried rolling back the gpu drivers but that didnt help either.

Jan3s

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Okay, so i called my friend who recently built a new ryzen pc, i tried his ASUS TUF Pro and it worked perfectly on it without crashes, so its probably my motherboard but i wanna ask what could be wrong with it and is it repairable or should i just get a new one?

Okay, so i called my friend who recently built a new ryzen pc, i tried his ASUS TUF Pro and it worked perfectly on it without crashes, so its probably my motherboard but i wanna ask what could be wrong with it and is it repairable or should i just get a new one?

Hi, well to be honest answering this questions without having a closer look at the motherboard front and back runing a few test is really, really hard.

How old is your system, and specially the motherboard, how long sisnce you been using it?

Was the motherboard a brand new item?, or was it an used part?

Also, when you said you tired his asus tuf pro, you mean you put your Ryzen cpu on his mobo and play it and run prime95 for a while?, or did you tired all your components, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, SSD, Cooler, keyboard, mouse, webcam, etc.? You really need to rebuild your entire PC with a diferent mobo and test it for a few hours to be sure is working.

You can RMA it if its still under warranty. You can't really repair a motherboard if its the motherboard.

Last edited:

Jan3s

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hi, well to be honest answering this questions without having a closer look at the motherboard front and back runing a few test is really, really hard.

How old is your system, and specially the motherboard, how long sisnce you been using it?

Was the motherboard a brand new item?, or was it an used part?

Also, when you said you tired his asus tuf pro, you mean you put your Ryzen cpu on his mobo and play it and run prime95 for a while?, or did you tired all your components, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, SSD, Cooler, keyboard, mouse, webcam, etc.? You really need to rebuild your entire PC with a diferent mobo and test it for a few hours to be sure is working.

I bought it in june, the whole pc, although the board was new but i didnt get any local warranty because it was imported, so cant RMA it.

I tried his board with same scenario, same everything just different mobo and the crash didnt occur, i ran prime95 and furmark together for serveral times with OC gpu and it ran fine, no crashes, no restarts, no shutdowns.

If you tried all your parts, but the motherboard and it worked fine, as you wrote, then I dare to said that yeah most likely the motherboard have a problem.

Question: have you tried to to go back to an older BIOS version? You said bios and drivers are all up to date. So maybe installing an older BIOS could fix the issue?

Solution

Jan3s

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

I updated the bios after issue started occuring, so that cant be the case.