Question PC lights turn on but won’t boot up

Mar 18, 2020
When I turn on the main switch, the RGB lights on my GPU and case fans light up before I press the start button on the case. After I press the button, nothing happens, the lights on my keyboard and mouse don’t start and there is no video output to the monitor. I also don’t hear the soft beep that occurs when the PC boots up. I suspect that the PSU might be malfunctioning in some way.
Specs
Ryzen 1600
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
Corsair VS550 Bronze
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR4 X2

Please help

Mar 18, 2020
It had worked before for almost 3 years. I believe it’s the older model. It says 80+ Bronze on the box. My main concern is that since this model is discontinued will I get a replacement under warrant?

Mar 18, 2020
Yea, an older VS550 and a GTX1080 is a very bad combination.

I would try to take the PSU out and try the PSU paperclip test.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf
Hi, I’m sorry for the late reply, I tried to do the paper clip test but the 24 pin connector isn‘t disconnecting no matter how hard I try. The PC turned on briefly and went to the BIOS. I tried to start it but it gave me three small beeps and failed to POST. Is there any other way to test the PSU?

You could also have a bad 24pin connection, If it was drawing lots of current on one of the rails you may have a bad pin. I melted a 5v pin on and older MB once.
You should carefully remove that plug to examine. (a small screw driver to lightly pry.(there is a clip on on side that needs to be pressed)

Mar 18, 2020
You could also have a bad 24pin connection, If it was drawing lots of current on one of the rails you may have a bad pin. I melted a 5v pin on and older MB once.
You should carefully remove that plug to examine. (a small screw driver to lightly pry.(there is a clip on on side that needs to be pressed)
I checked the voltages on the rails in the UEFI BIOS. Both 3.3v and 5v seem to be fine. I‘ll go to the computer store as soon as it opens. I just want to damage the MB or pins trying to pry it

Mar 18, 2020
Tried that already, its just really reluctant to come out and I don’t want to damage my MB. Could you give me some good options for a new PSU, I’ve been out of the PC building loop for some time now.