PC moniters both black out but PC still runs

MrJamerJamer

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
Hello all I really need your help on this one,

So about 4 days ago it all started. I was sat just playing a few games and both my monitors blackout and act as if they are not plugged in, come up with the message "no signal", however the PC fans and led's are still running and I can somtimes hear the audio for a few seconds and then silence, they only way to go from there is to force power off.

Firstly I have no idea what is causing this to happen it's seems to be fairly random as it has proberly happened 8/10 times playing 'Rocket League' which isn't super CPU heavy or GPU heavy at all, so I stress tested my PC and everything ran fine temps. were normal as they should be and no crash, when playing Rocket league the temps. are as low as they should be so it is not an overheating problem. I can somtimes play for 5 hours and nothing happen and then other times play for 30 seconds and it crash, it has no correlation to what I am doing in game, i.e loading in, somtimes i'll be afk at the menu and it will crash.

I really need your help as I have no idea why this is happening, I have all the latest drivers, did a fresh install today. Also too note my computer has been feeling a little slugish over the past few days.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3 @ 3.70GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 ASUS
MOBO: G1 Sniper B7
PSU: EVGA 500W
Mem: 8GB HyperX RAM
Drives: 1TB Seagate ST1000D + 931GB Western Digital WDC

Thanks in advance, James.

Solution
I would definitely suspect the Power supply as the error you are getting is usually due to a power problem. The fact that it doesn't crash until you put the system is under load pretty much rules out faulty power coming into the computer.

MrJamerJamer

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015

Any idea what would be the best way to monitor it?

MrJamerJamer

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
After checking event viewer all critical errors I get are 41 kernel-power. There are 12 total in the past 4 days and 3 others from months back. Here are some examples of the details:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>4</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-12-17T21:00:35.270021300Z" />
<EventRecordID>3369</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-3NC7O1L</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">4</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">131264819813894223</Data>
<Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
<Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
<Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">1</Data>
<Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Dunno if this helps at all.

mwryder55

Distinguished
I would definitely suspect the Power supply as the error you are getting is usually due to a power problem. The fact that it doesn't crash until you put the system is under load pretty much rules out faulty power coming into the computer.

Solution