[SOLVED] Pc must be placed horizontally in order to work

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
I cant place my pc tower case vertically. If i do, the pc turns on with the Windows 10 sound but the display is blank. If i press the power button on the monitor, it will say Monitor Going to Sleep.

The pc works fine when placed on its side, but the tower case is designed so it could stand upstraight, not on its side. I check everything, my cables are fine, monitor is fine.

Solution
Referencing Post #4 ( per @geofelt):

Power down, unplug, set the tower upright, and open the case. By sight (use a bright flashlight) and feel (touch all components) look for signs of movement, things that are touching or not touching.

Gently reseat all components and tighten all internal screws.

Then set the tower on its side and repeat the process.

As suggested pay close attention to the GPU.

Also pay attention to all of the exterior cables. Their weight may be pulling something downward when the tower is upright.

Once placed on its' side the cable weight may be reduced or gone.

Try supporting the cables.

Lutfij

Titan
Perhaps check and see that all connections in your system are secured, while the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall. Yo might also want to see if you can hear a sound coming off the chassis in the event that the system is vertically placed and powered up.

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Ralston18

Titan
Likely some component is a bit loose. Not making contact unless the orientation is changed and gravity or other internal physical factors cause the connection to improve. That could change and even that connectivity could be lost.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all cables/connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Gently tighten all screws to ensure that nothing is loose enough move when the pc is either standing upright or on its side.

Good you found out that orientation counts.
Otherwise you would have had a dickens of a time finding the problem.

I can think of a few possibilities.

Perhaps the graphics card is not secure to the rear attachments.
Some graphics cards are quite heavy and can droop in an upright orientation.
There are support brackets available if this is your problem.

Some air coolers will have a specific orientation of the heat pipes that is not recommended. Since windows does appear to start, this is not the likely problem.

Are the monitor cables secure?

Reactions: Ralston18

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Perhaps check and see that all connections in your system are secured, while the system is powered down and disconnected from the wall. Yo might also want to see if you can hear a sound coming off the chassis in the event that the system is vertically placed and powered up.

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

I7-2600
Windows 10 64 bit
16gb DDR3
MSI GTX750 Ti
HP Elite Midtower case
HP Power Supply 320W
500gb HDD

All my connections are secure

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Likely some component is a bit loose. Not making contact unless the orientation is changed and gravity or other internal physical factors cause the connection to improve. That could change and even that connectivity could be lost.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all cables/connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Gently tighten all screws to ensure that nothing is loose enough move when the pc is either standing upright or on its side.
I've cleaned it with an air duster a few days ago. all my wires are nice and secure. Still the same problem. i still don't know why it happens

MajorMas

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Good you found out that orientation counts.
Otherwise you would have had a dickens of a time finding the problem.

I can think of a few possibilities.

Perhaps the graphics card is not secure to the rear attachments.
Some graphics cards are quite heavy and can droop in an upright orientation.
There are support brackets available if this is your problem.

Some air coolers will have a specific orientation of the heat pipes that is not recommended. Since windows does appear to start, this is not the likely problem.

Are the monitor cables secure?
At first I thought the GPU was the problem, but since I checked 10 times its still not the case. All monitor cables are secure. Guess I just have to keep on playing and working on a horizontal pc :3

Ralston18

Titan
Referencing Post #4 ( per @geofelt):

Power down, unplug, set the tower upright, and open the case. By sight (use a bright flashlight) and feel (touch all components) look for signs of movement, things that are touching or not touching.

Gently reseat all components and tighten all internal screws.

Then set the tower on its side and repeat the process.

As suggested pay close attention to the GPU.

Also pay attention to all of the exterior cables. Their weight may be pulling something downward when the tower is upright.

Once placed on its' side the cable weight may be reduced or gone.

Try supporting the cables.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS