Question PC never makes it to full sleep

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
I have a system with a Ryzen 2700X using an Aorus Master x570 motherboard. After I swapped in the current motherboard (previous motherboard failed) the system no longer fully goes to sleep. The screen goes blank, but the fans keep spinning and the computer does not respond to subsequent attempts to wake it by mouse, keyboard, or a quick press of the power button. The only way out is a hard reset, so I'm better off shutting down instead of putting the computer to sleep.

The issue is Windows-specific as an Ubuntu live USB allowed the computer to sleep and wake up fine. I tried various common fixed like running the power troubleshooter (claims it fixed issues like computer taking too long to go to sleep but problem persists) and using powercfg with various options. I got a powercfg energy report which doesn't appear to include useful info. There are 3 errors reported, one is my power plan setting not allowing the PC to sleep after inactivity (intentional since it doesn't wake up afterward), and 2 saying "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend", with a note claiming that this should not prevent the computer from entering sleep mode. Event Viewer shows the expected event with ID 41 (reboot without clean shutdown) but I can't seem to find anything indicating it tried to go to sleep before that and failed.

I did post about this a while ago, but mistakenly thought the computer was sleeping but not waking up. It's clear now that it's not actually in complete sleep mode. I would appreciate any ideas on how to troubleshoot this further.

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
make sure you're using the latest BIOS for this board,
reinstall the OS for this new system,
and install all of the latest drivers for this board.
Using the latest BIOS, and all the latest drivers appear to be installed, according to device manager. The only thing I don't want to do at the moment is a full reinstall as I'll have to reinstall all the programs and this PC will likely be repurposed fairly soon.

Is there any way to troubleshoot this without the reinstall? I've heard of computers waking from sleep sporadically, but never of an up-to-date one without reported power problems simply not going to sleep while shutting the screen off permanently.

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
these motherboard driver packages would be offered from the board manufacturer's product support pages.
unless you downloaded and installed them yourself they would not be updated.
I downloaded the chipset driver updater from Gigabyte and ran that. It did not indicate whether it was successful, but it ran for a minute or so, so seemingly updated. Should I repeat that for every single driver (USB, audio, etc.) and try again?

BTW, I thought the device manager usually finds the most relevant drivers and downloads them. So that doesn't happen for the motherboard drivers?

BTW, I thought the device manager usually finds the most relevant drivers and downloads them. So that doesn't happen for the motherboard drivers?
does not search or download directly from each manufacturer, only from generic Microsoft databases.
each board offers it's own drivers distributed from their own manufacturer.

there will be USB, audio, chipset, AIO, SATA, etc,
offered by the board manufacturer.

Feb 6, 2023
make sure you're using the latest BIOS for this board,
reinstall the OS for this new system,
and install all of the latest drivers for this board.

I have the same problem after installing windows 11
Installing drivers from the official website of the motherboard does not help, google and thousands of pages with options to solve the problem - also did not help.