Question PC no longer booting, either due to RAM OC, or switching to dual channels.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Let me just start by saying, I'm practically a caveman when it comes to PCs. Mine is prebuilt (mobo is an ASRock > Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4). I thought I'd overclock my ram from 2128 MHz to 3000 MHz after doing a userbenchmark test and it telling me my RAM (GeIL EVO POTENZA AMD 16GB DDR4 3000 Desktop Memory - Newegg.com) was underperforming. Everything worked fine, so I did the benchmark again. This time, it recommended to make sure the PC was in dual channel mode. I went into the BIOS again and enabled XMP instead of auto. Then, after further research, noticed my RAM were in A1 and A2, instead of A1 and B1, which was causing my pc to run in single channel mode. So I moved the stick from A2 to B1. My pc booted up, but I was met with the 'fltmgr.sys' BSOD. It would happen every boot. So, I took the RAM sticks out and put them in A2 and B2. Now, my pc will not boot at all. I've tried many slot combinations, even one at a time, but no dice. I also tried removing the CMOS battery, nothing. The pc turns on, the fans make a sound, it shuts off, and then back on automatically. Here's what it sounds/looks like. I'm afraid to just let it do this, but it seems like it would go on forever if I'd let it. Something similar has happened before with the same pc, but I don't remember how I managed to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

popatim

Titan

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
If you only have 2 sticks of ram they go in A2 & B2 .
Your motherboard manual: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4.pdf
Your Motherbd drivers, install the latest ones please.: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4/index.asp#Download

Did you unplug the PC from the main power before moving the ram? or at least switch off the power supply?
If not then I suspect you damaged the motherboard 😓
I turned off the power supply before I did it. I can't remember if I unplugged or not, but I definitely turned it off and held the power button to make sure it didn't have any juice.

popatim

Titan
Do you have a way to test our power supply, make sure all he voltages are present and in the proper range?
Or perhaps a known good working PSU?

ps - I'm off for a long weekend and won't be back until Monday. Good luck.

Last edited:

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Do you have a way to test our power supply, make sure all he voltages are present and in the proper range?
Or perhaps a known good working PSU?

ps - I'm off for a long weekend and won't be back until Monday. Good luck.
This is my first rig, so I don't have any other PSUs. How do I test the one I have?

edit: Oh, okay! Enjoy your weekend!

Last edited:

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I ordered a PSU tester, which is going to arrive on Sunday. I understand that if my PSU is working fine, then it's a Mobo issue, right? If you ask me, it seems like the PSU is working fine. The fan comes on, and it sounds like it always has. But, again, I'm still learning about this stuff. If anyone can help figure out the next step if it turns out my PSU is working fine, I'd super appreciate it. Replacing the Mobo really seems intimidating. Thanks.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS