Question PC no power ?

itsame

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
I plugged in an additional HDD to see what was on it, and computer wouldn't get to Windows loading screen. I figured the other HDD was boot disk.
I forced a shutdown by holding the power button, unplugged the extra HDD... NO power to computer. No lights, no beeps, nothing. Tested PSU and it's fine. What gives? Motherboard failure?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

As for the issue, you could try and disconnect from the wall and display and then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes. Replace the CMOS battery and have only your OS boot drive connected to your motherboard. See if that helps.

itsame

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
Considering I'm not getting power at all, I didn't think any specs were relevant, since they aren't even having the chance to power on. Regardless,
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x16gb) / SK Hynix (2x4gb)
SSD/HDD: SDD Inland Professional 256gb/ Seagate Barracuda 7200 500gb HDD/ Hitachi 1tb HDD. The HDD I was checking on is a HGST 7200 500gb
GPU: MSI R7 360 2GD5
PSU: Rosewill 750w 80+ Bronze
Chassis: CoolerMaster something
Monitor: an old monitor and old tv (unable to say without moving everything on my desk

I took out the CMOS battery, even swapped it with the one in my other computer. still nothing.

itsame

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
Any help would be appreciated. This is my main computer and need it for work. I still can't figure this out and really hoping I don't need a new motherboard as this one isn't even 2 years old yet

itsame

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016
I plugged in an additional HDD to see what was on it, and computer wouldn't get to Windows loading screen. I figured the other HDD was boot disk.
I forced a shutdown by holding the power button, unplugged the extra HDD... NO power to computer. No lights, no beeps, nothing. Tested PSU and it's fine. What gives? Motherboard failure?

SSD/HDD: SDD Inland Professional 256gb/ Seagate Barracuda 7200 500gb HDD/ Hitachi 1tb HDD. The HDD I was checking on is a HGST 7200 500gb
Monitor: an old monitor and old tv (unable to say without moving everything on my desk

I took out the CMOS battery, even swapped it with the one in my other computer. still nothing.

Lutfij

Titan
Please stick to one thread unless you want the community to end up with spaghetti brains.

Tested PSU and it's fine

Can you elaborate on how you tested the PSU? The paperclip method doesn't tell you how much power the PSU can effectively output to the rest of your system. How old is the Rosewill PSU? Speaking of which Rosewill is the brand of the unit, while 750W is the advertised wattage and 80+ Bronze is it's 80+ efficiency rating, it doesn't state what the model of the unit is. As for your platform, you have two sets of rams, remove the SK Hynix rams from your board and have the G.Skill rams in slots A2 and B2 on the motherboard's ram slots. Have you tried working with a donor PSU?

itsame

Honorable
Apr 12, 2016

Please stick to one thread unless you want the community to end up with spaghetti brains.

Tested PSU and it's fine

Can you elaborate on how you tested the PSU? The paperclip method doesn't tell you how much power the PSU can effectively output to the rest of your system. How old is the Rosewill PSU? Speaking of which Rosewill is the brand of the unit, while 750W is the advertised wattage and 80+ Bronze is it's 80+ efficiency rating, it doesn't state what the model of the unit is. As for your platform, you have two sets of rams, remove the SK Hynix rams from your board and have the G.Skill rams in slots A2 and B2 on the motherboard's ram slots. Have you tried working with a donor PSU?

I'm in dire need of answers quickly. I'm losing work due to this.
Again, I don't see what components my computer even has since it is not letting on. I've tried starting with other PSUs. There does not appear to be any physical damage to my Mobo.