Question PC not booting after 10+ hours off - - - - It requires several tries to turn on ?

Feb 11, 2023
Hello, I'm having this issue with our 2 computers at home.

1- AMD Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB Ram Crucial Ballistix (16x2) RAM / Asus Tuf Gaming b450 Elite II Mobo / GeForce RTX 3060 TI 8GB / Gigabyte 80+ Gold 750W Power Supply / Forza power regulator 2200v

2- AMD Ryzen 5 1600 / 32GB Ram Delta T-Force (16x2) RAM / ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II Mobo / GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB / Cooler Master 80+ Gold 850w Power Supply / Forza power regulator 2200v

The thing is that the 2nd PC (My Gf's) has been having this issue for the last months, it started after a power issue in our street that made all lights blink for like 2 hours and we weren't home for the 1st hour, so her PC started having this issue, when it has been off for over 10 hours, it won't turn on again, I had to connect it to a different power supply to make it work, seemed like it was the power supply. Still, when you replace it it will keep happening, in the end, I replaced the whole Mobo and CPU to that PC, and after checking everything, I came to find that her old CPU Ryzen 5 3600 was causing the issue, whenever that CPU was in the PC, it won't turn on, but when I replaced it worked. So after all it seems like it was solved...

We moved together a few months ago and this last couple of weeks her PC has been having this issue that after a while off, it turns on but won't boot, her MOBO Lights indicates VGA fault, but after trying without the RAMs and stuff, it sometimes works, but the lights keep indicating its video, and it won't show anything, after several tries, it works and lights do the whole cycle CPU, RAM, VGA, BOOT thing and works, but still, I can't figure out what the cause will be since I have replaced mobo and CPU.

Now the weirdest thing is that MY PC (the number 1 mentioned above) started having the same issue a like 2 weeks ago, my GPU has RGB so I notice it easier than hers, but when mine doesn't turn on its lights, my PC won't boot, like hers. After a few tries, mine works easier. What I have tried lately and seems to make it work faster is I turn off both power supply switches behind the CPU and wait 10 seconds, then switch it on again and turn on the PC, and mostly it works. I Cant find a reason for it, Our PCs are plugged into different outputs and have different power regulators, our building doesn't have power shortage issues and neither does our apartment.

Note: The 2 GPUs were previously used for Crypto Mining for my brother-in-law, but he gave them to us after he quit mining, they were used for less than 1 year and currently none of the 2 GPUs shows any kind of visible failure, the performance is normal and they work just great.

Any ideas? Sorry for the long text, I wanted to give the whole context. Thanks in advance

Feb 11, 2023
Have you tried using just one stick of ram at a time with each motherboard? That way you can find a problem ram stick or rule out the ram completely as the problem. Do you have access to another GPU that you can try in each pc also?

Hello and thanks. I don't have a spare GPU at hand, Not right now, but I think I could find one. Now regarding RAM modules, I did debug both, tried with none, then with one, then with the other one, then with both in DUAL CHANNEL 2, then back to DUAL CHANNEL 1. What seems to make it work more often is when I turn off the power supply switch behind the case and then wait 30 seconds and switch it on again and turn on the PC. That makes it work 7 out of 10 times. But it might point to either one of the components being flushed or the PS being the failure itself, which like I said, doesnt make much sense to me.

But to mention that when the old issue started happening with PC #2 (My Gf's) she had another brand new GPU, AMD RADEON SAPPHIRE RX 580 PULSE 8GB. And that issue happened with the PC not turning on, and also id like to add that when she had that issue, the PC used to turn by itself after 1-3 hours from the last try. For example, if you try to turn it on now, it won't, and all of a sudden it will turn on by itself 1-3 hours later. That was an OLD issue, before replacing the CPU and Mobo. Her PC is most different now, changed CPU, GPU, and Mobo over time, and now only the boot problem persists. Do you think the Power supply would have anything to do with it? I doesnt seems like that to me, but who knows... both PC having issues is weird af

Last edited:
Hello and thanks. I don't have a spare GPU at hand, Not right now, but I think I could find one. Now regarding RAM modules, I did debug both, tried with none, then with one, then with the other one, then with both in DUAL CHANNEL 2, then back to DUAL CHANNEL 1. What seems to make it work more often is when I turn off the power supply switch behind the case and then wait 30 seconds and switch it on again and turn on the PC. That makes it work 7 out of 10 times.

But to mention that when the old issue started happening with PC #2 (My Gf's) she had another brand new GPU, AMD RADEON SAPPHIRE RX 580 PULSE 8GB. And that issue happened with the PC not turning on, and also id like to add that when she had that issue, the PC used to turn by itself after 1-3 hours from the last try. For example, if you try to turn it on now, it won't, and all of a sudden it will turn on by itself 1-3 hours later. That was an OLD issue, before replacing the CPU and Mobo. Her PC is most different now, changed CPU, GPU, and Mobo over time, and now only the boot problem persists. Do you think the Power supply would have anything to do with it? I doesnt seems like that to me, but who knows... both PC having issues is weird af
It could be the psu's especially your girlfriends because of the power problem her pc encountered. The reason I asked if you could find a different gpu to try is because yours were used in mining. I would recommend rule those out before buying new psu's.

Feb 11, 2023
It could be the psu's especially your girlfriends because of the power problem her pc encountered. The reason I asked if you could find a different gpu to try is because yours were used in mining. I would recommend rule those out before buying new psu's.

Yeah I will try that, my brother-in-law has my old RX SAPPHIRE 580 NITRO, id use it, let's hope for that to work. I'd post any updates in this case, thanks.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch