Question PC not booting, but everything spins on?

May 20, 2019
Hello everyone,

Specs:
MOBO: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 AM3+
CPU: AMD CPU FX-8350 Black Edition 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz & Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
PSU: CORSAIR CX750 750W
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB & Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1070 Ti Founder's Edition
HDD: HGST Ultrastar HUA722010CLA330 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
SSD: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500GB SATA III & Inland Professional 240GB SATA III & Inland Professional 120GB SATA III
CASE: DEEPCOOL DSHIELD-V2
FANS: 6 x 120mm with a controller

I recently tried to turn on my PC to get some work done and got no response from my PC. Fans, graphics card, HDD, cooler, and psu spin on, but no visuals on monitor or keyboard/mouse lights. Also sounds like everything is idling vs full spin up.

Things I've tried:
reseat and test RAM one at a time
strip down to the bare minimum (1 stick of ram, cpu, hdd)
new cmos batt
cleared cmos
power cycled
new thermal paste
checked my power connections (both 24 and 4 pin)

I also tested most of my components and a spare PC and it works:
HDD boots to OS, logins OK.
both graphics cards work
PSU works
monitors work
each stick of ram works
keyboard and mouse work
Unfortunately, the spare mobo is AM3, so I can't test my FX.

I also took some spares to test my current parts, but still no response like before.

I believe this points to my motherboard being faulty? I'll test an old AM3 on my current mobo tonight to see if the issue was my CPU, but I doubt that's the issue...
Anything else I can try/test/fix?

Please don't tell me to do a full overhaul, I'm just a struggling college student :(

Last edited:
May 20, 2019
Thanks for the reply!
I'll look into that, but is there anything else I can check/do? I want to get all tests (that I do at home) checked off before I start buying parts and what not.
I don't make much money so it's really my last straw if I'm buying new parts.

Apr 5, 2019
It is probably the motherboard. Several pc's I had that did the same thing had broken motherboards or failing power supplies. And usual a failing power supply = a broken motherboard.