Question PC not booting correctly after installing a new SSD ?

Feb 17, 2022
I recently bought a geek squad refurbished m.2 nvme drive from Best Buy and used Samsung Data Migration software to move all my data to that drive. However, my computer bottom loops a few times whenever starting it and then eventually takes me to a recovery screen showing “Your PC couldn’t start properly. After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be repaired.” It gives me a few options such as entering the UEFI Firmware settings and going into a recovery environment. After restarting several times, my computer eventually boots into Windows. Before this problem starting occurring, I looked at the ssd history and it said it had only about 7 hrs power on time so the drive is barely used. Is the SSD that I bought from Best Buy pretty much defective? And does anyone have advice for exchanges or returns of Best Buy products like the one I bought?
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZHLuoMP

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you, in windows, right click start and choose disk management
open next window and expand so upper and lower areas show all details.
take a screenshot and upload to imgur like above, show screenshot

did you remove the old ssd after copying it?

Feb 17, 2022
can you, in windows, right click start and choose disk management
open next window and expand so upper and lower areas show all details.
take a screenshot and upload to imgur like above, show screenshot

did you remove the old ssd after copying it?
I did remove the old ssd by disconnecting it from the SATA port and I was getting the same issue. I also tried disconnecting all my other drives as well but that didn’t fix the issue. The old boot ssd is the SanDisk one and the new ssd is the Samsung evo plus drive.
View: https://imgur.com/a/caW90oJ

The software you used is not adequate for cloning your old drive onto your new m.2. Download the free Macrium software and use that to clone your old drive onto your new. There are 4 partitions on a normal windows drive including 1 that isn't even visible in Disk Management. Since none of your disks have 3 visible partitions the cloning did not work properly. Macrium should solve your problems.

What can a geek squad do to "refurbish" a ssd?
Not much that I can think of excepting to wipe all data.
Possibly, they updated the firmware to currency.
It is essentially a used ssd.

The Samsung ssd migration app is a very good tool.
It is a C drive logical mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit copy.
Nothing wrong with it at all.
I have used it many times.
There are some restrictions which are documented in the user manual.
Primarily, it needs a sound copy of windows to work with.

One thing I might do is to install the samsung NVME driver.

The other thing you can do is use the samsung magician app to check out your ssd.

Since you are now running, do you really need to do anything else?

Feb 17, 2022
There is nothing inherently wrong with the Samsung Data Migration tool.
Done properly, it usually works.

Or, Macrium Reflect.

Does the system actually work properly now?
The system does not work properly. It takes me several tries and restarts to get the pc to boot to windows. Still giving me the same error message every time and boot looping initially.

Feb 17, 2022
Did you do anything to the data on the original C drive?

If you put the system back in original config, does it work properly?
Yes, the computer works fine if I use the original ssd
Edit: actually, I tried restoring a system image of my computer before installing the new ssd onto a drive and the pc doesn’t start correctly either

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022
So I tried installing windows without any data onto the new Samsung 970 evo pro ssd using a media creation tool usb stick and it still goes into a boot loop. Eventually after trying to boot into windows a few times, the pc says it didn’t start correctly and gives me the normal troubleshooting options. Startup repair from those troubleshooting options says it cannot repair my pc. I have a feeling the new ssd is just defective.

USAFRet

Titan
Edit: actually, I tried restoring a system image of my computer before installing the new ssd onto a drive and the pc doesn’t start correctly either
So I tried installing windows without any data onto the new Samsung 970 evo pro ssd using a media creation tool usb stick and it still goes into a boot loop. Eventually after trying to boot into windows a few times, the pc says it didn’t start correctly and gives me the normal troubleshooting options. Startup repair from those troubleshooting options says it cannot repair my pc. I have a feeling the new ssd is just defective.

That suggests something other than the new SSD.

Feb 17, 2022
This is really strange. I keep having to change my bios settings to enable CSM and turning off intel rapid storage technology in order for my pc to boot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. However, my new ssd is already in GPT format, not MBR so I don’t know why I need to have CSM enabled

Feb 17, 2022
I just tried installing windows cleanly without data on my old ssd and my pc boots to windows just like normal. So I really think there’s something wrong with the new ssd