Question PC not booting, fans running normally ?

Aug 21, 2021
Hi all, so my basic build (see below for specs, about 8 years old) has been running fine, I recently bought a new CPU fan and upgraded to an SSD which improved things a lot. However, this morning it wouldn't boot. The fans start regularly and continue spinning, but the only light which turns on on the front panel is the CD drive. No other signs of life, except for a brief flash of my mouse lights when I plug it in. The only thing which springs to mind is that yesterday I changed some graphics settings from the GPU's software to increase performance (no overclocking or anything, just a preset), then used it for a couple of hours before switching it off.

So far I have tried the following (shutting down and unplugging my PC at every step of course):
  • Disconnecting all peripherals;
  • Changing power cord, wall socket;
  • Unplugging GPU and using my CPU HDMI socket;
  • Unplugging and wiping my RAM with a dry cloth, switching sockets, using only one, etc (all possible combinations);
  • Checking PSU connections to motherboard;
  • Resetting CMOS by taking the battery out of my motherboard, waiting 10 minutes, then putting it back in;
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130
GPU: AMD HD 7750
SSD (can't remember which one but it's pretty new)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB
PSU: EVGA 600 B 80 plus bronze
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 M-ATX

Aug 21, 2021
do you getting black screen while turning on your PC? Press the Num Lock key repeatedly and check whether the light in the keyboard for num lock is blinking or not.
Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay, I was away for a while.

No signs of life from the keyboard even when trying Num Lock (or Caps Lock, Scroll Lock).

The motherboard and cpu receive power from the psu, I tried detaching everything except for the motherboard and cpu but still nothing. I assume I need a new motherboard and/or cpu, but have no idea how to find out which of the two, except for getting a new one and trying.