pc not booting up after installing new ram

Sambit Goswami

Reputable
May 24, 2014
I bought a new ram (4 gb, ddr3, 1333 mhz) for my pc, and after installing it the computer is not booting up, the fans are spinning and after 10 seconds the rear fan speeds up making loud noise but the screen remains black, when I put my old ram back in , everything gets back to normal, is the new ram faulty or am I doing something wrong?

my rig setup :
intel core i3 540 3.06 ghz
intel dh55pj motherboard
2 gb ddr3 ram 1333 mhz
amd radeon r7 250
western digital 500 gb hard disk

do you get any beeps during POST?

It's hard to say whether the memory is defective or incompatible. Either way it's not the memory for you to use. If there are no tweaks in BIOS that you can alter, then you may just have to return it and look in the board and CPU QVL to find compatible memory.

Sambit Goswami

Reputable
May 24, 2014

no I'm not getting any beeps, but my motherboard's manual says it can support upto 8gb ram in each socket of 1333 mhz, so it should be compatible I guess :(

Not necessarily. Each motherboard and CPU manufacturer publish lists of Qualified Vendors (the QVL list) of things that they specifically tested. So you should be able to make sure that your memory is on a QVL list.

It is the first and easiest cop-out from the various vendor's Tech supports to not help if your components are not in the QVL.

If the memory supplier guaranteed compatibility, they may help you to avoid an RMA.

Otherwise, as I said, it does not matter if it is dead or incompatible - either way it's not working. If you can't fiddle with your BIOS to get it to work, return it.

Latest posts