[SOLVED] PC not booting up after shifting

amkanba

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
Sorry if this isn't the right topic. I just shifted my office PC from one desk to another. When I reconnected all the wiring it started up for a second then shut down. A few seconds later it started up again only to shut down like before. This loop kept going on until I had to pull the plug after which my computer tried restarting once more (probably the capacitors or something I guess) before it shut down.

How can I fix this? Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Solution
Your 7020 is now about 6 years old and came with a basic Power supply so that will have to be checked.
You can take it to be tested under load or swap the unit out for a known working unit of the same or higher Wattage.

The RAM you have will also need to be checked and you can run Memtest86 by booting from a USB.

Replace the CMOS battery as they are only about $4. (CR2032)

Your user manual indicates your power LED diagnostics on page 47 which can help diagnose the problem. Try to interpret the Amber LED state.
Sorry if this isn't the right topic. I just shifted my office PC from one desk to another. When I reconnected all the wiring it started up for a second then shut down. A few seconds later it started up again only to shut down like before. This loop kept going on until I had to pull the plug after which my computer tried restarting once more (probably the capacitors or something I guess) before it shut down.

How can I fix this? Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Maybe during the move something has come loose.
Check all cabling connections inside and out of the PC and check your DIMMs are pushed in well.

If fruitless then list your full system specs for further trouble shooting.

amkanba

Distinguished
May 10, 2014
Maybe during the move something has come loose.
Check all cabling connections inside and out of the PC and check your DIMMs are pushed in well.

If fruitless then list your full system specs for further trouble shooting.
It's a Dell optiplex 7020. 4th gen i5, 16gb ram, 500gb hdd, a 290w psu. No dedicated GPU.

Your 7020 is now about 6 years old and came with a basic Power supply so that will have to be checked.
You can take it to be tested under load or swap the unit out for a known working unit of the same or higher Wattage.

The RAM you have will also need to be checked and you can run Memtest86 by booting from a USB.

Replace the CMOS battery as they are only about $4. (CR2032)

Your user manual indicates your power LED diagnostics on page 47 which can help diagnose the problem. Try to interpret the Amber LED state.

Solution