Question PC not giving me its full potienal and performance

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
hello, just wondering if anyones got any ideas as to why my pc could possibly be lacking in performance in the majority of my games? I even stutter on csgo.

my specs:

CPU: i9-9900K
GPU: MSI RTX 3070 8 GB SUPRIM X
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 24GB
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS PX 850 W 80+ Platinum

Its pretty much been like this since the day I've built it and has also been like this with different parts. I've switch from Ryzen to Intel, switched from a 2070 to a 3070, changed my ram, changed my psu, changed pretty much every single part in my case. Someone has mentioned dirty electricity to me before and honestly it would make sense if that was the cause but idk how to diagnose that nor do I know how to fix it.

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
mixing ram?
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
how full is the ssd?
All my RAM is corsair vengance. I did have 32 but 1 stick died.
CPU and GPU temps are good and normal.
My boot ssd is 107GB free out of 250, my 1TB game SSD is 500GB free.

D

Deleted member 2947362

have you tried running with just 16gig so the CPU runs in dual channel mode rather than single channel with 3 sticks of ram that might help quite a bit.

refer to your motherboard manual to which are the best slots for dual channel or download it if you don't have it at hand.

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
have you tried running with just 16gig so the CPU runs in dual channel mode rather than single channel with 3 sticks of ram that might help quite a bit.

refer to your motherboard manual to which are the best slots for dual channel or download it if you don't have it at hand.
I have yes, I used to only have 2 sticks but I bought 2 more in hopes it would solve my problem which it did not :( I could give it another try at some point but idk if much would change...

D

Deleted member 2947362

I have yes, I used to only have 2 sticks but I bought 2 more in hopes it would solve my problem which it did not :( I could give it another try at some point but idk if much would change...
And you made sure the two stick's where in their recommended slot's as stated by the manual?

Depending on the memory controller topology and Motherboard different size Ram sticks, Speed, Rank, slot order/combination will effect ram and CPU performance.

Jun 4, 2023
If you have a bad power source with inconsistent voltage, you could try using a UPS to have a cleaner voltage. It may fix issues with stuttering.

Reactions: Richj444

rReece

Prominent
Nov 12, 2021
And you made sure the two stick's where in their recommended slot's as stated by the manual?

Depending on the memory controller topology and Motherboard different size Ram sticks, Speed, Rank, slot order/combination will effect ram and CPU performance.
Sorry for the long reply, Ive been busy, but yes I have read my manual and stuff and done what its asked ram slot wise and still does it :(

D

Deleted member 2947362

yeah but you have make sure you one that can take the power of your PC or that can end up giving you problems from my experience (but the one I used was cheap) like system resets but I don't know if that will help you it's just something else you could try to see if power from the mains supply is the cause.

Stuttering is usually caused by a temporary lack of a critical resource. Often the cpu.
As a quick test run the cpu-Z bench and look at the single thread performance rating.
You should see a score like 630:

How are your temperatures under load?
What is your cpu cooler?
Run HWmonitor. It will record the current, minimum, and maximum individual core temperatures.
If your cooler is mounted well, you should see a minimum of 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Look to see if the max shows 100c. in red. That means you have throttled or slowed down.
The theory is that a bit of throttling can cause stutters.

Ram not all from the same kit can cause strange problems.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.