Question Pc not loading correctly (turns on but no display or USB ports)

Jul 25, 2021
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Hi I’ve had this issue on and off it’s seemingly random.

I load my pc and the fans turn on and I hear the pc start up, but after about 4 seconds i hear a powering down noise and then the monitors and all USB ports don’t work or show anything. The pc remains on and makes no funny noises
Any idea why this is?

I removed the cmos battery for 5 minutes to reset the bios to see if that was the issue but it didn’t change anything

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I removed the cmos battery for 5 minutes to reset the bios
Actually to reset CMOS for sure by removing battery you kinda not just need to remove battery
You need to remove cable from power supply (one from behind of PC), then remove CMOS battery and press power button (as if you turn on PC)
It will try to power cycle, but there is no power so system will lose all power in capacitors
Wait 30 seconds, insert battery, put cable back into power supply and boot PC up

But if you had CMOS was reset notification in BIOS then it is OK as you did

Jul 25, 2021
Actually to reset CMOS for sure by removing battery you kinda not just need to remove battery
You need to remove cable from power supply (one from behind of PC), then remove CMOS battery and press power button (as if you turn on PC)
It will try to power cycle, but there is no power so system will lose all power in capacitors
Wait 30 seconds, insert battery, put cable back into power supply and boot PC up

But if you had CMOS was reset notification in BIOS then it is OK as you did

ok I did as you said and waited about 2 minutes and put it back in.

still no display on the monitors and it says “no signal”

it has previously booted today but this isn’t the first time I’ve had this issue

Jul 25, 2021
What happened between last time it booted and "no-signal"

well I can’t say anything happened at all,

there’s been this reoccurring issue that after 12pm the pc does not load. I had previously been using it around 11:00pm and restarted to see if I could reset the bios to see if that was the cause. And boom it stopped loading again. However today at around 6pm the same issue occurred so I’m not sure if it’s linked. Sorry I can’t give any more info than that

Jul 25, 2021
Is power supply stable in place you live? consistent and etc...
Because if it isn't (and falls are usually always happening at evenings) this may be reason... But actually i doubt i can say something more specific about reasons, sadly

I’m not so sure about power supply stability, I live in a regular home so I’m not sure if it would change later into the night. If that was the case could that prevent a proper startup?

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I live in a regular home so I’m not sure if it would change later into the night
Well, usually regular homes don't have power problems like some countryside can have... And you probably would've noticed because power instability overall can show up as some devices overall can work not permamently, stopping by like 1-2 seconds sometimes...
Easiest way you can see that instability - light bulbs... they can become dim for brief moments.
So easiest i can imagine that power delivery problems damaged power supply, but it is just wild guess, chances are not great that it is true.

If you start pc, and it runs with constant fan speed, but no LED or screens (or BIOS), it could be memory damage too, reasons can be plenty and power supply is one of them, moreover it doesn't matter which fault was that, PSU or energy provider in region, anyways corrupt can happen... If it is just memory OC fail, then CMOS reset would've helped, but as it didn't helped, i kinda threw this thought away.
It can also be BIOS damage, for some reason...
HDD/SSD damage? Maybe if you have only one... but you still probably could've seen POST error then...
GPU damage? not impossible, but i wouldn't bet on it personally, imo

Anyways must go sleep now). 5AM there.
Sorry that i wasn't much of help

Jul 25, 2021
Well, usually regular homes don't have power problems like some countryside can have... And you probably would've noticed because power instability overall can show up as some devices overall can work not permamently, stopping by like 1-2 seconds sometimes...
Easiest way you can see that instability - light bulbs... they can become dim for brief moments.
So easiest i can imagine that power delivery problems damaged power supply, but it is just wild guess, chances are not great that it is true.

If you start pc, and it runs with constant fan speed, but no LED or screens (or BIOS), it could be memory damage too, reasons can be plenty and power supply is one of them, moreover it doesn't matter which fault was that, PSU or energy provider in region, anyways corrupt can happen... If it is just memory OC fail, then CMOS reset would've helped, but as it didn't helped, i kinda threw this thought away.
It can also be BIOS damage, for some reason...
HDD/SSD damage? Maybe if you have only one... but you still probably could've seen POST error then...
GPU damage? not impossible, but i wouldn't bet on it personally, imo

Anyways must go sleep now). 5AM there.
Sorry that i wasn't much of help

the very fact you replied is more than enough friend thanks, I guess it leads to the possibility of hardware damage. It seems strange me sometimes it does load and sometimes it doesn’t. I wonder if this is common with hardware fault.

I’ve had multiple power surges in the past which I feared caused hardware damage, I have a surge protector input however I’m not sure if it worked. Good night

Jul 25, 2021
its a custom built one I made with my father so I can’t return it. I’m still having the same issue and haven’t had much progress. I know it’s not the BIOS and I made sure my power strips weren’t overloaded. I’ve bought a replacement kettle lead as I think it may be faulty but in reality I’m just hoping in the cheapest fix and it won’t be either the ram or psu. The ram is fairly new aswell as the motherboard. The psu it’s kinda old but no major faults

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021
Hi, so ive had this issue for some time and it gets worse as time goes.

I've had my PC for around 4 years and motherboard, CPU and ram around 1 year ago as of which ran fine for most of the time i've had it.
As of the past 6 or so months sometimes when I start my PC the lights turn on and the fans start up.
However that's as far as it gets, it doesn't POST or BOOT and none of the USB ports give electrical output.

Sometimes if I leave it for a while it has a small chance it loads successfully and its super confusing that sometimes it just loads fine.
ive had the "repairing c drive" many times and have had 1 windows crash report on BOOT.

Ive reset the CMOS battery (BIOS)
Ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic Test (came out fine_
and ive ordered a new Kettle lead incase this old lead is faulty (still yet to arrive)

My computer specs are

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370P D3-CF U3E1
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ x2
CPU: i5 8600
Graphics card: AMD Radeon 280X (200 Series)
PSU: HX Series HX850W

SSD: HP EX 900 2YY43AA 250GB
HD: Seagate Barracuda 2tb
HD2: Seagate 1tb