Question PC not POSTing after restarting Windows

DFBHDTS

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I've recently got a new pc that I've built myself (first time too), but I've had a weird issue with my CPU cooler ramping up ever 5 seconds or so which was mega annoying...

So I changed the fan curve using the bios utility which optimises best with your current setup. After a save and restart my pc mobo had a red LED on it, and then shut down. It then continually tried to boot and shut itself down so I powered it off entirely.

I then powered it back on and a yellow LED this time and wouldn't boot to post at all POST!

I reset CMOS and changed RAM slots to get it to boot into windows. I then shut it down again and put the RAM back into the original slots and then it booted up fine.

However now I've reset the overclock profile that came with my CPU/mobo bundle so my fans aren't going crazy, BUT every time I restart my machine it doesn't boot and just had a yellow LED. If I do a full shut down and bring it back up it boots fine. Odd!

I've updated chipset drivers, bios is up to date, changed RAM around and it still does it. Any ideas?

My setup is:

And Ryzen 7 3700xewith stock cooler
Asus Rog strix f-gaking b450
650w evga gold modular PSU
Rx580
Corsair vengeance lpx 3200
1tb Corsair m.2 drive with OS loaded on it

Last edited:

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
Try booting with just one stick of RAM and see if that helps. You can also try reseating your M.2 Drive or try it on another slot. I've had this happen to me where the system will just hang after a restart and it just needed a re-seating of the drive. Also, was it a clean OS install on that drive?

DFBHDTS

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Try booting with just one stick of RAM and see if that helps. You can also try reseating your M.2 Drive or try it on another slot. I've had this happen to me where the system will just hang after a restart and it just needed a re-seating of the drive. Also, was it a clean OS install on that drive?

Hiya,

Yeah I might try reseating the M.2. drive. I haven't used memtest I justs used windows own memory diagnostic tool which found no issues.

I've tried booting with just one stick of RAM and it looks like the ram was working fine so i'm a bit stumped.

It was a clean install onto the M.2.

I'll try reseating it and maybe run memtestx86. But yeah it's driving me nuts! I can't work out for the life of me why it just won't boot after a restart.

I've even looked into the power settings and turned off that fast boot setting in windows power settings as well.

DFBHDTS

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Done a memtest (only did 1 pass mind) and no issues were found. Time to reseat the M.2 and see if that helps.

Any weird setting in my BIOS I should look to have disabled?