Jan 12, 2015
SPECS
gpu: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti VENTUS GP MSI
psu: rm750e corsair
mobo: ga-78lmt-usb3 (rev. 5.0)
cpu: amd fx-6300
ram: kingston 3 x 8gb
windows 11

Ive just brought a second hand 2080ti and a new psu to power it, I'm wanting to use it within my old build that i plan to replace the rest of when i have the money. my computer boots up fine with the new psu (using integrated graphics) but when attempting to run it with the new graphics card it wont post (no beep).
The computer turns on fans on gpu but nothing else.
the gpu works as i tested it at the sellers house and ran a benchmark, i have reset cmos with no luck. i have also removed old amd drivers and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers for the new card. I have read that updating my bios my help with my issue but from what i can see on the gigabyte website they have never been updated past first release. I'm a little lost and would appreciate any help or advice, thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I've managed to finally get it to post and boot, it seems like the order of the 2 x 8-pin pcie connectors was the cause. I haven't read anywhere about the order in which you plug them in mattering, but it seems like that was the issue. I will do further testing tomorrow and make sure.
My other gpu only used one of the two 8-pin connectors so i guess that's why that one was working. I only thought to try swapping them around after testing each 8-pin connector on my other gpu and noticing that one of them took significantly longer than the other for the pc to post. I'm unsure if this is a factory issue, as the psu is brand new or if this was a mistake on my part, if this is common knowledge and im dumb for not knowing please let me...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Ive just brought a second hand 2080ti
The thing with 2nd hand hardware is, that they are sold "as is" and there is 0 expectation for them to work as brand new hardware, or to work at all.

So, test with 2nd GPU in your system. If system works, issue is with your RTX 2080 Ti.

For other options, take out two RAM sticks and use only one stick. Look if it helps.

MrClaw74

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
The thing with 2nd hand hardware is, that they are sold "as is" and there is 0 expectation for them to work as brand new hardware, or to work at all.

So, test with 2nd GPU in your system. If system works, issue is with your RTX 2080 Ti.

For other options, take out two RAM sticks and use only one stick. Look if it helps.
The card was tested and working when i brought it.
the 2nd gpu works fine and removing 2 of the 3 ram sticks did not help the 2080 ti boot unfortunately.

MrClaw74

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
It could be stupid missed stuff like a better HDMI or is your computer in UEFI. I see you did test at sellers place in working condition. To old of a platform with the FX AMD or maybe you need a bios update
From what i checked im running on legacy BIOS.

Updating the bios is something i looked into but im unable to find one that was newer than the first release on the gigabyte website

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Using too new of a GPU in a too old of a MoBo is bound to cause compatibility issues.

Now, PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0 and newer GPU should work. Also, rest of the components are sound since you can get it working with another GPU. Btw, what is the another GPU?

The card was tested and working when i brought it.
Possible that GPU died during transit. Have you checked if RTX 2080 Ti still works? Other than in your old AMD build that is.
If you don't have 2nd PC to test it, haul the GPU to PC repair shop and ask them to validate if GPU works.

MrClaw74

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Using too new of a GPU in a too old of a MoBo is bound to cause compatibility issues.

Now, PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0 and newer GPU should work. Also, rest of the components are sound since you can get it working with another GPU. Btw, what is the another GPU?

Possible that GPU died during transit. Have you checked if RTX 2080 Ti still works? Other than in your old AMD build that is.
If you don't have 2nd PC to test it, haul the GPU to PC repair shop and ask them to validate if GPU works.
The other card is a gigabyte r9 380 windforce.

I don't have another pc for testing and although i highly doubt it died in transit i suppose anything is possible. I will take it to a repair shop if that's my only option, although i am still unconvinced that it has died since purchase.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm... difficult to tell. Best course of action: haul both the PC and new GPU to PC repair shop and pay them for diagnostics. Since build works fine with Radeon GPU and RTX 2080 Ti also works fine in another PC. So, i can't tell why the two doesn't want to work together.

MrClaw74

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
I've managed to finally get it to post and boot, it seems like the order of the 2 x 8-pin pcie connectors was the cause. I haven't read anywhere about the order in which you plug them in mattering, but it seems like that was the issue. I will do further testing tomorrow and make sure.
My other gpu only used one of the two 8-pin connectors so i guess that's why that one was working. I only thought to try swapping them around after testing each 8-pin connector on my other gpu and noticing that one of them took significantly longer than the other for the pc to post. I'm unsure if this is a factory issue, as the psu is brand new or if this was a mistake on my part, if this is common knowledge and im dumb for not knowing please let me know people. I will do further testing tomorrow to make double sure this is the only issue.

Reactions: stonecarver

MrClaw74

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
My other gpu only used one of the two 8-pin connectors so i guess that's why that one was working. I only thought to try swapping them around after testing each 8-pin connector on my other gpu and noticing that one of them took significantly longer than the other for the pc to post. I'm unsure if this is a factory issue, as the psu is brand new or if this was a mistake on my part, if this is common knowledge and im dumb for not knowing please let me know people. I will do further testing tomorrow to make double sure this is the only issue.
After disassembling the computer out side of the case yesterday and getting it to boot i came to the conclusion that the dual 8-pin pcie cable was to blame, this does not seem to be the case after further testing today. From what i can tell the complete disassembly and re build was what has made the card work, i have re built it in the case and tried the cable both ways and it works without issue :??:
So in the end i have no idea what was wrong but it has resolved its self, i want to thank all of you who helped it was greatly appreciated.

Happy new year to you all!
Cheers.

Reactions: stonecarver
Solution