Question PC not powering on. Can't identify why. NOT PSU issue

SpicyOtter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015
Some PC help needed for someone special to me. I'm asking for them. So i'll try and provide all the relevant details I can.

So they were gaming the other day. And they noticed stuttering/lag. No frame dips or anything like that. They tried with different games (Overwatch and Garry's mod) both did the same.
They powered off the PC and pulled out the power supply to power cycle everything. Only issue is now when he presses the power button. The PC isn't coming on. He's tested the parts as best as he could to see if they're still recieving a current and the parts do work in an older PC he has.
He's extremely frustrated because he can't seem to identify which part is causing trouble and is looking at potentially taking it into a repair centre which will charge £100 just to look at it. Yet alone any further costs for the actual repair and worse if any parts need replacing since most PC parts right now are so flippin expensive!
Any help, insight, suggestions would mean the world right now. This PC is his livelihood and he does a LOT of PC gaming and he's extremely stressed out and upset by this and I hate seeing him like that.
I can ask him for more details if need be. Thanks.

Apologies if this in wrong place.

Okies I now have his system specs which should help!
Intel i7 7700k, GTX 1070 8GB, MSI Z270 Pro Carbon, 512GB NVMe (2x256gb) + 1 TB HDD, Gamemax 550w Gold-rated PSU
Vetroo V5 CPU cooler

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Some PC help needed for someone special to me. I'm asking for them. So i'll try and provide all the relevant details I can.

So they were gaming the other day. And they noticed stuttering/lag. No frame dips or anything like that. They tried with different games (Overwatch and Garry's mod) both did the same.
They powered off the PC and pulled out the power supply to power cycle everything. Only issue is now when he presses the power button. The PC isn't coming on. He's tested the parts as best as he could to see if they're still recieving a current and the parts do work in an older PC he has.
He's extremely frustrated because he can't seem to identify which part is causing trouble and is looking at potentially taking it into a repair centre which will charge £100 just to look at it. Yet alone any further costs for the actual repair and worse if any parts need replacing since most PC parts right now are so flippin expensive!
Any help, insight, suggestions would mean the world right now. This PC is his livelihood and he does a LOT of PC gaming and he's extremely stressed out and upset by this and I hate seeing him like that.
I can ask him for more details if need be. Thanks.

Apologies if this in wrong place.
Why did he remove the power supply?
  1. All the cables were not put back right.
  2. power supply switch is turned off.
  3. short out the power pins on the motherboard.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, there just being current does not rule out the PSU.

I'd encourage you to get your friend to directly post here. We'd love to save your friend money, but we need detailed information -- nothing about the PC was provided -- and it's a massive challenge without someone who can actually interact with the PC. We're not at your friend's computer and there has to be someone to be our eyes and ears, or, I'm sorry to say, a repair is a longshot unless it's something extremely obvious.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
ONE possibility from the scenario you describe is that the cooling system for the CPU has failed. That would cause the CPU to get too hot, and the first response of the system would be to slow down the processor speed substantially to reduce heat. That makes everything run noticeably slow. But if the problem is not fixed, the next time you reboot the mobo may discover that there is NO speed signal arriving at the CPU_FAN header and refuse to start up, just to protect the CPU chip from overheating with no cooling working.

IF the CPU cooler is a FAN and heatsink, that fan may have failed. IF it is an AIO liquid cooling system with a pump on the CPU and a radiator with fans, the pump part may have failed. As others have said, we need full specs on what the system contains, including mobo maker and model, CPU cooling system maker and model, PSU similarly, etc.

SpicyOtter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, there just being current does not rule out the PSU.

I'd encourage you to get your friend to directly post here. We'd love to save your friend money, but we need detailed information -- nothing about the PC was provided -- and it's a massive challenge without someone who can actually interact with the PC. We're not at your friend's computer and there has to be someone to be our eyes and ears, or, I'm sorry to say, a repair is a longshot unless it's something extremely obvious.

I'm aware not much can be done without being there. I've asked for his specs and just waiting for him to get back to me. He doesn't have an account here. Why i'm posting for him.

SpicyOtter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015
ONE possibility from the scenario you describe is that the cooling system for the CPU has failed. That would cause the CPU to get too hot, and the first response of the system would be to slow down the processor speed substantially to reduce heat. That makes everything run noticeably slow. But if the problem is not fixed, the next time you reboot the mobo may discover that there is NO speed signal arriving at the CPU_FAN header and refuse to start up, just to protect the CPU chip from overheating with no cooling working.

IF the CPU cooler is a FAN and heatsink, that fan may have failed. IF it is an AIO liquid cooling system with a pump on the CPU and a radiator with fans, the pump part may have failed. As others have said, we need full specs on what the system contains, including mobo maker and model, CPU cooling system maker and model, PSU similarly, etc.

I'll ask him about that and see what he says. He did mention he replaced thermal paste regularly. I'm just waiting for him to give me system specs and i'll update my post when he does.

SpicyOtter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015
Okies i've updated the original post with his system specs:
Intel i7 7700k, GTX 1070 8GB, MSI Z270 Pro Carbon, 512GB NVMe (2x256gb) + 1 TB HDD, Gamemax 550w Gold-rated PSU
Vetroo V5 CPU cooler

SpicyOtter

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2015
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
I'll ask him about that and see what he says. He did mention he replaced thermal paste regularly. I'm just waiting for him to give me system specs and i'll update my post when he does.

Full system specs are now in original post. Thanks for being patient with me

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your post said, "They powered off the PC and pulled out the power supply to power cycle everything." I assumed you meant your friend unplugged the PSU cord from the wall outlet to guarantee no power for the reset. Another reply assumed you meant they completely removed the PSU from the case and then re-installed that. Which is it?

So now it will not start up. IF what your friend did was more than just unplugging and re-plugging, there may be a missed or poor connection somewhere caused by disconnecting things. So the first item would be to inspect for something loose or not plugged in. Pay special attention to the large main power cable from the PSU to the mobo at the front edge just above mid-board, and also to the 8-pin socket called CPU_PWR1 at top rear. Check the way the cable from the CPU cooling FAN is plugged into the CPU_FAN header above the CPU and close to the RAM sockets.

NEXT question requires careful observation with the case open to watch closely. When you push the case front On / Off button, does ANYTHING happen? Even briefly, do any fans twitch or lights come on? Or is it totally dead?