Question PC not powering up after mobo+CPU upgrade

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hello everyone.

I just bought an i7 9700k and an MSI z390-a mobo and the system won't turn on. I see the orange light when the Ethernet is connected but it won't power up meaning no fan spin, no speaker sound, no sign of life.

Maybe there is something I'm missing I'm just too worried to think. Thank you in advance.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hello everyone.

I just bought an i7 9700k and an MSI z390-a mobo and the system won't turn on. I see the orange light when the Ethernet is connected but it won't power up meaning no fan spin, no speaker sound, no sign of life.

Maybe there is something I'm missing I'm just too worried to think. Thank you in advance.

Hi @Koulis

Did you buy the hardware new or used? If used, try resetting the CMOS to default either by shorting the jumper or removing the battery. Tripple checked that everything is plugged in correctly? Do you have a modular PSU or a standard fixed cable type? 8 pin molex by CPU & 6 pin molex by primary PCIE slot all have power? Correct RAM? Try booting with only 1 stick installed? Installed in the correct slot(s)? As @kanewolf stated, you make sure the CPU's fan is plugged into the correct power pin? (To the right of the top RAM slot)

Mobo Power Help - MSI Forums

Reactions: Koulis

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hi @Koulis

Did you buy the hardware new or used? If used, try resetting the CMOS to default either by shorting the jumper or removing the battery. Tripple checked that everything is plugged in correctly? Do you have a modular PSU or a standard fixed cable type? 8 pin molex by CPU & 6 pin molex by primary PCIE slot all have power? Correct RAM? Try booting with only 1 stick installed? Installed in the correct slot(s)? As @kanewolf stated, you make sure the CPU's fan is plugged into the correct power pin? (To the right of the top RAM slot)

I bought both items new, two days old. I did just reset bios. I have a modular PSU and connected 2 4pin cables to the CPU slot just like on my previous motherboard for an i5 6th gen. I have the CPU fan connected. Tried with one slot ram in the correct slot. It's stuff I've been through in the past but now everything is correctly wired up and we'll connected and it just doesn't power on. There is a weird PCIE power connector on the motherboard but I'm not sure that that's what is causing the issue. I'll try connecting that too. What are the chances of the CPU being just DOA?

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hi @Koulis

I just read the post you shared. So I don't connect that slot either. There is really nothing else I can think of.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Most of these suggest that the system does power on but doesn't post. Mine doesn't even have the PSU fans spinning. But I can see that the Ethernet lights up if connected.

Just to clarify: On the mobo, you have the main 24pin power plugged in & the 8 pin CPU power on the side correct? Since you just have the 1 GPU, you just plug the molex into it directly from the PSU. You have the CPU fan plugged in. Your 9700k has onboard right, Intel 630 or something like that? Remove your GPU and just try using your onboard. Unplug all drives, this includes any optical or SSD/HDD drives. Does your PSU have the 110/115 &/or 220/225 power switch at the back? Are you in the US or overseas? If in the US, make sure its on 115. Not sure about Europe, possibly 220/225?

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Have you double-checked the connection between the motherboard and the front panel power switch? I assume that is how you're turning it on.
I tried shorting the connections with a screw driver and didn't work. I just took the mobo out of the case disconnected everything and shorted again with a screw driver and it turned on. I guess something was shorting it in the case. What could be the most common thing that's shorting the mobo?

Make sure all the holes in the case have a standoff and a screw. To start off, don't plug in case features, such as USB and audio connectors. If it still fails to work, remove the graphics card and on the motherboard video connection and try again.

Good troubleshooting so far!

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Make sure all the holes in the case have a standoff and a screw. To start off, don't plug in case features, such as USB and audio connectors. If it still fails to work, remove the graphics card and on the motherboard video connection and try again.

Good troubleshooting so far!
Thank you. There's one thing bugging me about it. All of my screws also have protection washers, like small red I guess made of some kind of hard paper. But I'm short of one of these washers. What if I skip one standoff?

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Just to clarify: On the mobo, you have the main 24pin power plugged in & the 8 pin CPU power on the side correct? Since you just have the 1 GPU, you just plug the molex into it directly from the PSU. You have the CPU fan plugged in. Your 9700k has onboard right, Intel 630 or something like that? Remove your GPU and just try using your onboard. Unplug all drives, this includes any optical or SSD/HDD drives. Does your PSU have the 110/115 &/or 220/225 power switch at the back? Are you in the US or overseas? If in the US, make sure its on 115. Not sure about Europe, possibly 220/225?
Thank you. I live in EU. I'm gonna plug the drives one by one and making tests to see if it starts.

InvalidError

Titan
Thank you. There's one thing bugging me about it. All of my screws also have protection washers, like small red I guess made of some kind of hard paper. But I'm short of one of these washers. What if I skip one standoff?
The phenolic washers are non-essential, they are mainly there to protect the board from scoring when you tighten screws. Mounting holes are connected to ground and there is no real problem with putting in screws without washers - tons of cases don't have any included and my PC does not have any either. Just don't over-tighten since this can crush PCB layers together and cause an internal short if the board has traces running too close to mounting holes.

Koulis

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I can't thank you all enough. After booting once out of my system and resetting the bios memory, I connected each part one by one until I had it sitting on my desk. I almost had a heart attack and I've got an overwhelming relief. There is nothing worse than spending so much on expensive hardware and you're unable to use it.

Again thank you all for the troubleshooting and keeping me company while fixing it up. I also got to do some cable management in there!

Reactions: Ketchup79