May 31, 2020
So i recently bought a new motherboard on offerup, the msi a320m gaming pro for my budget pc, but when i get it plugged in with everything and try to turn it on, nothing happens. No lights to signify that it is getting power or anything. Ive looked all over and most seem to have a problem with their power supply. However, mine works perfectly fine with the motherboard i have now (gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3) and passed the paperclip test. I don't have another power supply to test if it's truly the power supply so that leaves me in an awkward position but from what i have seen, the motherboard seems to be dead. (The guy i bought it from said it was working less than a month ago in his new build). Any tips on how i could check if it's the motherboard or what i should do? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Ok, let me see if I get this right:
  • Boght a used motherboard
  • PSU is testet and is known to work with old setup.
What you have sait nothing about is the rest of the components.

Check this:
  • Front panel connectors.
  • All PSU cables connected properly.
  • Motherboard standoffs are mounted correctly.
Ok, let me see if I get this right:
  • Boght a used motherboard
  • PSU is testet and is known to work with old setup.
What you have sait nothing about is the rest of the components.

Check this:
  • Front panel connectors.
  • All PSU cables connected properly.
  • Motherboard standoffs are mounted correctly.

Solution
May 31, 2020
ok here are the rest of the components
cpu: ryzen 3 1200
gpu: gt 610
hdd: 1tb wd blue
psu: 450w, not sure of the brand because it's asian
ram: 1 stick xpg adata 8gb ddr4 2400mhz
Front panel connectors and standoffs were on correctly, i even tried doing the screwdriver trick but still nothing, and both in and out of the case as well to make sure nothing was shorting because it was grounded incorrectly. All psu cables were connected in the proper place except im missing the reset sw in the front panel connectors and no pcie express cables connected because gt 610 doesn't have any slots to connect that to.

May 31, 2020
yeah, thing is i'm not sure if that means it would just not provide any power to the new motherboard at all when it works just fine with my previous set up, i don't know whether to buy a new power supply or motherboard.

May 30, 2020
This literally happened to me a few years back when that mobo first came out. It turned out to be the power supply. Same situation. A previously working coolmaster 450 PSU was in my old Phenom II system. I pulled it out to use it with the new system... tried to boot it. Fans turned for a sec and then nothing. I took it to the shop that sold it to me, they started it up with another PSU. I ended up just buying a 500w and it's been fine since 2017.

Old cheap PSU blow all the time. Try it with a new one that's got some headroom. Good luck.

May 31, 2020
This literally happened to me a few years back when that mobo first came out. It turned out to be the power supply. Same situation. A previously working coolmaster 450 PSU was in my old Phenom II system. I pulled it out to use it with the new system... tried to boot it. Fans turned for a sec and then nothing. I took it to the shop that sold it to me, they started it up with another PSU. I ended up just buying a 500w and it's been fine since 2017.

Old cheap PSU blow all the time. Try it with a new one that's got some headroom. Good luck.
oh ok, thank you, ill try to see what i can do and if a better psu works or not.