Question PC only getting visual with booting 1 memory stick

Mar 19, 2023
Hey guys,

Building a brand new rig (my first since 2015), and I'm running into some weird memory issues.

I'm running an MSI B760 Tomahawk DDR4 WIFI mobo. 128GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHZ memory. A PNY 4070ti GPU. I9 13900k processor. Corsair h170 elite aio cooler.

When I first booted everything fired up and was obviously running but no signal to my monitor at all. Tried both onboard video and gpu with different cables, monitors, outputs etc. Nothing.

Pulled the memory sticks to test adding one at a time. I now have a visual but with only one stick. If I add any other memory stick (regardless of which configuration), the signal never goes through.

So in attempting to troubleshoot whether the issue is a bad memory slot or something else, I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has any super stable timing settings for the msi bios that might fix the issue. Also, is there some setting I may not be aware of that is only allowing a single stick of memory to be used?

All this memory is brand new and came from the same package, and the memory sticks all work individually in that same slot so I don't think the sticks are the issue.

Those issues are really hard to diagnose...unless you have extra hardware to test each component.
It could also be the CPU or motherboard. A CPU that is isn't seating properly could have similar issue.

If you tested each RAM module and the system boots, then it appears the RAM is good.
If you are using 4 RAM modules, it could take the system several minutes to train the RAM and it could app.
Also some RAM kits (especially 4 modules) might not work on certain situations.

If you are able to post with one RAM module, do so and update the BIOS and see if that helps.

Mar 19, 2023
Those issues are really hard to diagnose...unless you have extra hardware to test each component.
It could also be the CPU or motherboard. A CPU that is isn't seating properly could have similar issue.

If you tested each RAM module and the system boots, then it appears the RAM is good.
If you are using 4 RAM modules, it could take the system several minutes to train the RAM and it could app.
Also some RAM kits (especially 4 modules) might not work on certain situations.

If you are able to post with one RAM module, do so and update the BIOS and see if that helps.

I made sure the CPU was/is seated properly. The several minutes to train the ram, as in, I should let the PC run for several minutes in spite of having no visuals? I'll try that. Also, I was able to update the bios to the latest version but after doing so, windows reset my security pin and won't let me reset it, so it's looking like I'll need to reinstall windows.

I should let the PC run for several minutes in spite of having no visuals?
Yes, it could take up to 6 minutes, without any display view and the system could even restart a couple of times...especially when I have used 4 RAM modules.

When we get impatient and stop this important step, it could prevent the system from booting. Then we start making changes and mistakes after mistake.

Such errors are common if the cpu socket has a bent pin.

Also, I note this caveat for your cooler:

Intel 1700, 1200, 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 1366, 2011, 2066
AMD AM5, AM4, sTRX4, sTR4
(*Intel LGA1700 is supported with purchase of CW-8960091 or CW-8960093 spare parts.)

Too much pressure can bend the processor and perhaps cause this issue.