[SOLVED] Pc only turns on without GPU, will I have to get a new one?

Feb 25, 2020
I've had this setup for a couple of years now, and it worked fine untill last week.

Now it boots up fine without the GPU (GTX 1060), but if I try with it plugged in, the PC does nothing, like it's not even plugged to the wall.

Is this something I can fix? Or will I have to get a new GPU?

Solution
Yes, the GPU is connected to the PSU.

Since I don't know anyone who has a desktop PC, testing the the GPU will take some time, but thanks for the help.

In that case, the easiest thing to do would be to go ahead and get a new power supply from a local merchant that has a good return policy. Install the new power supply and test your system. If it powers up, you're good to go. If not, then you may want to return the power supply and start digging into what else may be causing the issue.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and purchase a new power supply with the intention of keeping it anyway.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
It's possible it damaged your GPU, but more than likely, it's just not able to provide enough power. You will want to test your GPU in another computer (ask a friend) and/or test your computer (with graphics installed) with another power supply.

Of course, this assumes you've check to make sure that your graphics card has it's supplemental power connected to the power supply.

-Wolf sends

Feb 25, 2020
It's possible it damaged your GPU, but more than likely, it's just not able to provide enough power. You will want to test your GPU in another computer (ask a friend) and/or test your computer (with graphics installed) with another power supply.

Of course, this assumes you've check to make sure that your graphics card has it's supplemental power connected to the power supply.

-Wolf sends

Since I don't know anyone who has a desktop PC, testing the the GPU will take some time, but thanks for the help.

Wolfshadw

Titan

In that case, the easiest thing to do would be to go ahead and get a new power supply from a local merchant that has a good return policy. Install the new power supply and test your system. If it powers up, you're good to go. If not, then you may want to return the power supply and start digging into what else may be causing the issue.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and purchase a new power supply with the intention of keeping it anyway.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Feb 25, 2020

-Wolf sends
Thanks for the advice, but I'm on a very limited budget, so I won't be able to buy a new PSU right away, but it sure beats saving up for a new GPU.