Pc partially turns off if nudged/side fans are turned on

SocialFish

Honorable
Dec 24, 2016
I upgraded my old(ish) PC recently and it's been working fine and everything is great, except for an issue whereby if i nudge it with my chair by accident, it will turn off my monitor and holding the power button to turn it off no longer works. The LEDs and fans continue to work and my mouse and keyboard are also lit up but i have no way of knowing if they're working or if it's just the lighting. The same happens if i push the manual side fan switch. Let me know if you need my system info or anything else in the comments.

Solution
Has this made your computer unusable or will it start back up and only does this if you nudge it? Could be your PSU is going. How old is it? You could get a multimeter to test it, you just have to be careful to not electrocute yourself. :)

Here's a guide: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

I'd also unplug it, open it up and check all the connections to make sure that nothing is loose. It's also a good idea to clean out any dust with some compressed air while it's open. I'm sure you know to wear a grounding cable while fiddling around inside but I figured I'd mention it anyway. With this only happening when you nudge it I think a loose connection is probably the most likely issue...

SocialFish

Honorable
Dec 24, 2016

My case is made in a way that i cant really get the HDD out without taking the entire build apart and even then it's really difficult, and thats not something im keen on doing, anything else i could do instead? If it is indeed the issue then I'll pick it apart but frankly, im not looking forward to it.

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
Has this made your computer unusable or will it start back up and only does this if you nudge it? Could be your PSU is going. How old is it? You could get a multimeter to test it, you just have to be careful to not electrocute yourself. :)

Here's a guide: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

I'd also unplug it, open it up and check all the connections to make sure that nothing is loose. It's also a good idea to clean out any dust with some compressed air while it's open. I'm sure you know to wear a grounding cable while fiddling around inside but I figured I'd mention it anyway. With this only happening when you nudge it I think a loose connection is probably the most likely issue. It's also possible that your cable is going out or the port the cable is in is going. I had that happen to me when I got a new monitor and thought it was the cable but it turned out to be the port on the graphics card, luckily my card had another DP port. You could check those two things before you check all the inside connections.

Solution

SocialFish

Honorable
Dec 24, 2016

The computer is completely functional and works perfectly fine. It only turns off when i nudge it hard enough and then the connection goes from the monitor mouse and keyboard and holding the power button doesnt turn it off. I have to turn off the PSU manually then turn it back on and it works fine again untill the next nudge. This only worries me since my last hard drive got corrupted after the computer turned off after file transfer so i had to replace that. It’s really more of a nuisance than a problem but i’d like to fix it either way.

As for the PSU, that could indeed be the cultprit since its one i got from a friend that no longer needed it so it may have screwed itself somewhere. I’ll open it up and test it at some point when i have the time. Could this also be due to new components, the wattage is high enough to support them i believe but is there anything else that new stuff might do to cause the issue? It was working completely fine before the upgrade so can that be it?