PC Patch For 'Rise Of The Tomb Raider' Includes Visual Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
And for AMD users? Hah.

For crossfire? You'll have to wait for however long it takes for the next driver they release. That's the reason I never went back to crossfire after two rather bumpy go's at it (and I also stopped going SLI as well due to poor support that game devs have been showing it).

And this is why I always WAIT until the game has been out a while (fixes, updates, price drops).

Obviously SOMEONE has to buy the game, but when games get major fixes just WEEKS or even DAYS after launch it's hard to justify a pre-order just to get a golden sock.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
"If you use an Nvidia GPU, there are exclusive graphics improvements, as well."
Hmmm... I don't like this: developers catering to an exclusive vendor. What will we get down the road? More and more and more features exclusive to graphics vendor X?

Poor form guys. I don't want to see the PC market going down the toilet.

This has been an issue for quite a while. Probably before PhysX.

AMD is trying to go more open with their approach. I respect that, though the primary motivations are probably more about financially not being able to do what NVidia is doing.

I have an NVidia card and will buy one next, in part due to these features. I don't like it, but that's the state of things and I'm not going to go with an arguably degraded experience just to vote my opinion on the matter.

I'm not clear how or if this matter can be resolved either. I guess we really need the open source community to offer something comparable. I doubt developers are completely happy with the situation either. Sure, they may get some tools that potentially make their lives easier, but then they still have to create something nice for AMD cards.

I half expect the EU to jump in and say "no, no you can't sell games with proprietary stuff in Europe.. fix or be sued!"

Dev tools like Unreal 4 Engine are also adding in great plugins. I believe Microsoft bought Havok so perhaps we'll see a viable solution to replace PhysX completely but these things take YEARS to develop.

(to make things worse we have SteamOS which I love the concept of, but now we've got a Linux environment, non-DX API. I feel sorry for game developers and AMD. If NVidia offers a version of Gameworks for Linux that helps game devs that could be problematic for AMD in addition to their Linux driver difficulties.)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

This has been an issue for quite a while. Probably before PhysX.

AMD is trying to go more open with their approach. I respect that, though the primary motivations are probably more about financially not being able to do what NVidia is doing.

I have an NVidia card and will buy one next, in part due to these features. I don't like it, but that's the state of things and I'm not going to go with an arguably degraded experience just to vote my opinion on the matter.

I'm not clear how or if this matter can be resolved either. I guess we really need the open source community to offer something comparable. I doubt developers are completely happy with the situation either. Sure, they may get some tools that potentially make their lives easier, but then they still have to create something nice for AMD cards.

I half expect the EU to jump in and say "no, no you can't sell games with proprietary stuff in Europe.. fix or be sued!"

Dev tools like Unreal 4 Engine are also adding in great plugins. I believe Microsoft bought Havok so perhaps we'll see a viable solution to replace PhysX completely but these things take YEARS to develop.

(to make things worse we have SteamOS which I love the concept of, but now we've got a Linux environment, non-DX API. I feel sorry for game developers and AMD. If NVidia offers a version of Gameworks for Linux that helps game devs that could be problematic for AMD in addition to their Linux driver difficulties.)

or, the most likely thing, we see havoc become an xbox only thing so microsoft can sell more consoles.

honestly, nvidia can keep their nvidia only affects, so long as it does not touch my gpu, i'm sick of them giving out dlls that lock tessellation to retardedly high settings along with other crappy practices, they want to gimp their own cards, fine, sooner or later people will stop buying them as they see nvidia push things like tessellation to extremes, which hurts their new cards a bit, mad cards alot, and gives people with older cards a reason to upgrade.

i mean the new fallout 4 patch, didn't it decrease nvidia performance 10% on new cards, 30-40% on kepler, and amd got a 30% performance boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.