Question PC performance issues & rebooting itself.

Nov 15, 2022
I recently built a gaming pc and am having some strange issues.
Specs:
Ryzen 9 7950x
Rog Hero X670e mobo
Rog strix 4090
64gb 6000 trident z5 neo
1200w rog Thor psu
Corsair 120 mil rad

My pc began restarting constantly out of nowhere when Any serious load was applied whether it be opening multiple application or just starting up cod, it would even sometimes restart as soon as I got out of the bios. I felt like something wasn’t right from the beginning as even when not under load temps stayed around 60c and never went above 80ish. I checked the cooler to make sure thermal paste was good and reapplied and mounted and all was done correctly and still no good.

I then reinstalled windows and the for once everything ran completely fine, I didn’t get to try gaming but cpu temps were steady at 36 when not under load for the first time yet and then I activated my windows key and then once again constant restarting, I once again uninstalled everything and installed a clean version of windows and my problem is back, cpu will not go below 68c. And if I enable either xmp for ram or pbo I get restarts. But temp stays the same even if I dont enable those. I’m cod only getting like 190 fps 1440 and it’s unstable and cpu doesn’t seem to go over 75c which I thought it was supposed to run 95 normal. Someone please help

Have you pulled the 16 pin adapter to the graphics card and checked it for problems?

You are aware of the problems with that connector on some machines?

You are running a 7950x on a 120mm AIO? That's a very bad idea. Not even remotely capable enough for that CPU.

Is the AIO new or was it part of your previous build?

How old is that Thor power supply?

Nov 15, 2022
Have you pulled the 16 pin adapter to the graphics card and checked it for problems?

You are aware of the problems with that connector on some machines?

You are running a 7950x on a 120mm AIO? That's a very bad idea. Not even remotely capable enough for that CPU.

Is the AIO new or was it part of your previous build?

How old is that Thor power supply?
Gpu seems to be running fine clock speeds all look good etc. it’s the cpu I’m most concerned with due to the fact that it will not exceed 80ish or go below 58 and obviously the random restarting without any sort of error codes when Pbo is enabled. Also my apologies it is a 360 rad and is brand new with this build. The psu is roughly a year old now. It has a screen on the side which from what I can call has never read more than 450w as well.

side note, when first starting up pc and after entering windows the pc is extremely slow when opening startup applications, like freezing for a few seconds at a time slow until everything is opened

Last edited:
What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

Still, you didn't answer the question about the 12vhpwr adapter? Are you aware of this problem and did you pull the adapter to check it? Just because it "seems" to be running fine means nothing. All these systems "seemed" to be be running fine, until they weren't. And many of them that were still seemingly ok when checked had already begun melting the connectors. Regardless of whether it is related it is a good idea to check for this and make certain that the connector is COMPLETELY seated.

The fact that it has severe lag and latency while Windows is opening all it's startup process tells me that something is definitely not "all good" so let's not overlook something just because we want to assume it's not the problem.

Are there any other drives attached to the system or only the one?

Is this a 2 x32GB memory configuration or a 4 x16GB kit? Did ALL of the memory come in one kit or multiple kits? If there are only two DIMMs installed, are they in the second and fourth slots (A2 and B2)?

Nov 15, 2022
I have checked the connector, there are no signs of melting and I have made sure it is completely seated.
there is one other drive wd black sn770 as well but I have yet to partition it so it isn’t currently being used.
It is a 4x16 setup both sets of two bought at seperate times, after now examining the packaging I’m realizing the cl speeds are different per set of ram, that being said the system being laggy on startup was an issue even when only one set was installed also, the system had no restarting issues for about a week with both sets installed. I will remove the set filling slots a1 and b1 for the purpose of testing.
mobo bios version 0512 x64

update, upon removing the ram the system is still quite slow in the startup process

Look at the labels on each set of RAM and make sure you are pairing the correct two DIMMs together.

Try both sets of matching DIMMs in the A2 and B2 set, or try each DIMM individually in the A2 slot. It might also help to reset the BIOS between kits, then go back in and re-enable XMP, so that it doesn't possibly try to retain settings for the other set if doesn't retrain the memory automatically.

The problem, this one anyhow, with the memory, isn't that they kits have different CL latencies, although that too is part of this problem, but the simple fact that the two kits didn't come together in one matched set means there is no guarantee of compatibility even if they were identical part numbers.

Please read section two at the following link, titled "Mixed memory".

Also, that BIOS version doesn't even show up on the BIOS update page for your board, which I believe, but let's make sure, you've said is the ROG Crossfire X670E Hero, yes?

So if that's the case, maybe it was the original version and they are not showing it on the support page for some reason, but if so it is a few versions behind and might be a very good idea to update to the latest version, which is 0805, here:

Nov 15, 2022
Look at the labels on each set of RAM and make sure you are pairing the correct two DIMMs together.

Try both sets of matching DIMMs in the A2 and B2 set, or try each DIMM individually in the A2 slot. It might also help to reset the BIOS between kits, then go back in and re-enable XMP, so that it doesn't possibly try to retain settings for the other set if doesn't retrain the memory automatically.

The problem, this one anyhow, with the memory, isn't that they kits have different CL latencies, although that too is part of this problem, but the simple fact that the two kits didn't come together in one matched set means there is no guarantee of compatibility even if they were identical part numbers.

Please read section two at the following link, titled "Mixed memory".

Also, that BIOS version doesn't even show up on the BIOS update page for your board, which I believe, but let's make sure, you've said is the ROG Crossfire X670E Hero, yes?

So if that's the case, maybe it was the original version and they are not showing it on the support page for some reason, but if so it is a few versions behind and might be a very good idea to update to the latest version, which is 0805, here:

Ok, I’m going to start with the bios update as that is the right mobo, will follow up with the rest

Nov 15, 2022
Ok, I’m going to start with the bios update as that is the right mobo, will follow up with the rest
After the bios update the startup process from power on to entering bios seems to be wayyyy faster. Windows startup processes seem to have stabilized but still a bit laggy for a moment or two. Cpu temps still idling at 60c, only have cod downloaded at the moment and it is currently updating so will test it under load tomorrow, appreciate all the help so far hopefully we can get things settled tomorrow!

Do a hard reset on the BIOS and see what happens.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager, so I usually recommend doing that first thing when you go into the BIOS, before you reconfigure any custom settings that you need to.

Nov 15, 2022
Do a hard reset on the BIOS and see what happens.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager, so I usually recommend doing that first thing when you go into the BIOS, before you reconfigure any custom settings that you need to.
I have not been home yet to try this but should I completely wipe and reinstall windows on my drives as well just to fill that out when I do the bios reset as well?

Nov 15, 2022
Not yet. I'd save that for a later last ditch effort at cleaning up the problem. See if doing the hard reset and then reconfiguring your custom settings in the BIOS cleans things up any more than what it already did. But, it might be an eventuality.
I’ve restarted my bios, so far no change windows startup was very laggy same as before and cpu temps still hanging at 62. I’ve got all drivers in Armour crate updated but haven’t done anything else outside of Armour y crate other than GeForce, is there a chance I’m missing some sort of cpu drivers or something? Upon restarting my pc I also ram into several error codes in a row and it would not boot I could not catch the first one but the second had boot light on orange and was stuck on code a0, I hit the retry button on mobo and the next time around I got code 15 with red cpu light

Last edited:
If you're using Armoury crate then all bets are off. All of these motherboard manufacturer specific utilities like Armoury crate, MSI Dragon center, etc. are worthless. They ALWAYS cause problems, far, far more than any convenience they bring and they are totally not necessary.

Plus, they are incredibly hard to get rid of even if you uninstall them, basically almost just like a virus or malware. Besides which, they are very often completely inaccurate when it comes to drivers etc. Drivers should ALWAYS, ALWAYS be manually downloaded from the hardware manufacturer's product support page and manually installed. Chipset drivers, onboard LAN, onboard WiFi, Serial I/O, audio controller and other motherboard specific drivers should always be downloaded directly from the motherboard's product support page. Graphics drivers should always be downloaded directly from Nvidia, AMD or Intel. Drivers for other peripherals like keyboard, mouse, headphones, etc. should come directly from the manufacturer of those devices. The ONLY time you should rely on the Microsoft supplied drivers are when you can't get them any other way or when there is some kind of a conflict with the manufacturer drivers for a certain OS and the MS drivers don't have the same problem.

Normally, that will only be when you are trying to use very old hardware on a very recent OS version.

At this point I would recommend that you uninstall Armory Crate. Then restart the system. Then download all of these and install them. Then restart. If you still have the same problem then I would recommend doing a clean install of Windows followed immediately by downloading and installing these drivers again.

Actually, what Windows version are you running?

Nov 15, 2022
I was on windows 11 when the problems first arose but I’ve since been using windows 10 for all testing etc. I will probably try a fresh sip of my pc seeing as I don’t have too much downloaded and will also not download Armour crate on this run around and download all drivers as you said.

Nov 15, 2022
I was on windows 11 when the problems first arose but I’ve since been using windows 10 for all testing etc. I will probably try a fresh sip of my pc seeing as I don’t have too much downloaded and will also not download Armour crate on this run around and download all drivers as you said.
This being said at what point could it be assumed that hardware could be at fault, should I maybe try testing a different cpu or motherboard or even psu at this point?

This Windows installation that you've been having problems with, was it created as a clean install specifically for this system after building it, or did it come from your previous system?

I would really not recommend looking at hardware, which is an expense, until we've exhausted every possibility that DOESN'T cost you money, first. So, if you feel like doing a clean install rather than going through the other process, fair enough, but, make sure you DO do a clean install which means disconnecting all drives except the target drive for the OS and the flash drive with the installation media on it, then choosing the custom option when you get to that point in the installation, then deleting ALL existing partitions on the target drive, and then clicking next so that Windows installs to the unpartitioned, unformatted drive space that remains. Windows will create any required partitions and perform any necessary formatting, automatically.

After installation you'll want to install all the latest motherboard drivers, but I'd recommend getting the chipset drivers directly from AMD, and the graphics card drivers from Nvidia, of course.

Nov 15, 2022
This Windows installation that you've been having problems with, was it created as a clean install specifically for this system after building it, or did it come from your previous system?

I would really not recommend looking at hardware, which is an expense, until we've exhausted every possibility that DOESN'T cost you money, first. So, if you feel like doing a clean install rather than going through the other process, fair enough, but, make sure you DO do a clean install which means disconnecting all drives except the target drive for the OS and the flash drive with the installation media on it, then choosing the custom option when you get to that point in the installation, then deleting ALL existing partitions on the target drive, and then clicking next so that Windows installs to the unpartitioned, unformatted drive space that remains. Windows will create any required partitions and perform any necessary formatting, automatically.

After installation you'll want to install all the latest motherboard drivers, but I'd recommend getting the chipset drivers directly from AMD, and the graphics card drivers from Nvidia, of course.

I have a windows boot usb that I use to install windows I made it a year or two ago, if I use my bios to wipe the drives should that be fine? I will try once doing all this if no luck I’ll begin testing hardware, luckily I live 15 min from a microcenter where I can just buy parts one by one and test and return and see what could fix the issue

If you can create a new Windows installation flash drive, that would be better, since there have been a number of changes and a bunch of security related patches since even six months ago, much less two years, but if you are not able to do that then you can use what you have and simply go through the process of doing all the updates including any major updates. I'd prefer to do it all in one clean install though, rather than going through all this just to end up with a highly patched system afterwards.

What is the exact model of your memory kit?

Read, second section titled "mixed memory". If there are any questions beyond that that I can answer, I'll be glad to try.

Nov 15, 2022
Update: I have tested everything you had mentioned from installing drivers directly from manufacturers to using just one set of ram etc. I’ve began testing hardware now with another 7950 the problem occurs, I have also ruled out the motherboard as I’ve tested another of the same exact model. Today I did open task manager when everything goes laggy and freezes right after entering windows. I found the “system interrupts” process to be the only process using my cpu and it was running it at 33%+ while the system lagged and eventually froze altogether. I unplugged all usb devices apart from my keyboard and mouse and now when I go to startup as soon as I click task manager the system reboots itself despite this if I let it run it’s course in the beginning and don’t move anything the temps are now better than before idling at 36

Last edited:
So, try installing only two DIMMs in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket. Make sure the two DIMMs are from the same kit. You should be able to find identifying version ID numbers on the stickers on the DIMMs themselves to tell which belong to which kit. Then, with only two DIMMs installed, unplug the PSU power cable and reset the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. During that time press the power button on the case continuously for about 30 seconds. Then reinstall the CMOS battery, plug the power cable back in and boot up into the BIOS. Set your XMP memory setting (DOCP) to enabled, reconfigure any custom settings like fan curves or presets and then save settings and exit BIOS. See if you still have problems. If you do, do the same process again but use the other memory kit this time.