Sep 8, 2019
Started about a month ago, slowly getting worse. Beeps as often as every 4 minutes to sometimes staying quiet for hours. I've traced it to the event logs, where every time it plays the sound, I see three System events:
  1. "The start type of the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service service was changed from auto start to demand start."
  2. "A pointer device has no information about the monitor it is attached to."
  3. "The start type of the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service service was changed from demand start to auto start."
I'm able to "disable" the service mentioned, but I'm unable to stop it, as the option is grayed out. Disabling makes no difference anyway, as the start type just changes back the next time this happens. The service does not appear in Task Manager.

As for the pointer device, I have no idea what that's about. Mouse behaves correctly. Wacom Cintiq behaves correctly. I've updated my graphics driver.

Any advice on how to handle either of these messages? Or what else to check?

Some specs that might be related:
Dell 27in monitor, 1440p, Freesync, 100% scaling, connected via DisplayPort
Wacom Cintiq 13HD, 1080p, 150% scaling, connected via HDMI, Driver version 6.3.36-1
NVIDIA 1050TI, Driver version 436.15
Razer DeathAdder Elite mouse, Driver version 7.3.22.122
Windows 10 64bit, Version 1903, Build 18362.295

Sep 8, 2019
I've been able to stop the touch keyboard. In the task manager, it has the name "Tablet Input Service" and I still wasn't able to stop it. However, from there I found the svchost.exe process that was running and was able to kill it directly.

Unfortunately, the noise is still persisting as well as the system event for the pointer/display warning.

I can try reinstalling USB controllers next. Is there any way I can get a specific pointer device from the entry in the event viewer?

Sep 8, 2019
I unplugged all USB devices, and plugging them back in one at a time, I confirmed that the problem coincided with the Wacom being plugged in.

However, doing this a second time resulted in a massive amount of nonstop beeping even when there were no devices plugged in. Suspecting the USB ports themselves, I hit them with a can of compressed air to dust them off, and I've been beep-free for three days. I think I found my culprit.

TRENDING THREADS