Question PC periodically stuttering during certain apps on a built PC

Sep 16, 2018
Getting decent graphics with my build but I'm getting stuttering when I do things like play games and watch Netflix videos on Google Chrome. I'm struggling figuring out what the issue is and how I can fix it.

My whole pc has seemed to be performing a lot worse than I ancticipated, so I'm wondering if I messed up my components somehow.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019
The RAM is the most likely issue. It (and the PSU) are usually the two prime suspects when it comes to systems behaving weirdly. I would try to run memtest or find another stick of memory to replace it and see if the issues are fixed.

Memory is what is going to control multitasking efficiency, so failing memory could cause a major slowdown if try to do too many things at once. Games use a lot of RAM, Chrome uses a lot of RAM, RAM would be the first thing I check.

The RAM is the most likely issue. It (and the PSU) are usually the two prime suspects when it comes to systems behaving weirdly. I would try to run memtest or find another stick of memory to replace it and see if the issues are fixed.

Memory is what is going to control multitasking efficiency, so failing memory could cause a major slowdown if try to do too many things at once. Games use a lot of RAM, Chrome uses a lot of RAM, RAM would be the first thing I check.
Going into more detail, if you only have 8GB RAM once you hit 75% usage you will begin to page swap. The reason it starts to page swap at 75% is there isn't enough free RAM to cache all the things Windows needs in RAM. Once page swapping starts to occur your computer will feel like it is stuttering. The stuttering only gets the higher the percentage used until you think that you computer is stalling.

Sep 16, 2018
Going into more detail, if you only have 8GB RAM once you hit 75% usage you will begin to page swap. The reason it starts to page swap at 75% is there isn't enough free RAM to cache all the things Windows needs in RAM. Once page swapping starts to occur your computer will feel like it is stuttering. The stuttering only gets the higher the percentage used until you think that you computer is stalling.

Could page swapping cause my mouse to lag and audio to cut out sometimes? Thats what happens when I watch Netflix. Although, I haven't seen much RAM usage when I'm doing that.